Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with library and vault

I would like to know how to take all photos out of Aperture and start over.

When I upgraded to V.3, I think I set things up incorrectly. I had a vault but now there is no vault and I now have folders that appear under Projects & Albums that indicate Aperture Vault, Aperture Vault (1) and Aperture Vault (2). I did not make these folders. There are duplicates of photos in "Aperture Vault and Aperture Vault (1)" folders. I had used an external drive for the vault with V2 and now there is a Aperture Vault on the external drive and also on the internal drive and also an Aperture Library on both the internal and external drives. In the Vault and Vault (1) folders there are folders with the same names but different numbers of photos in the projects. I just would really like to start over and import my photos again; I don't really care about adjustments at this point, only the masters.

User uploaded file

Vault

User uploaded file

Vault(1)

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 2:00 PM

1 reply

Mar 9, 2012 6:06 PM in response to Linda in Phoenix

Linda,

You did not post the entire screenshot of your Library Inspector, but I suspect I know what's going on. Is the "Vault" a blue folder, as well as the "Vault(1)"?

I also have a top-level folder called "SimpleDrive Vault", which was the name of an Aperture 2 vault which I had to restore. (I had the unfortunately coincidence of a hard drive going bad the day I was intended to install Aperture 3. I got a new hard drive, installed Ap 3, and then restored the Ap 2 library to start.) When restoring your vault, Aperture may just create a new top-level folder with your vault name underneath it. There is nothing wrong with it. It is not your vault. It is a folder with your vault name. You can choose to restructure everything (I.e., drag and drop stuff wherever you want), although you may have duplicates.

I imagine that the duplicates are part of the problem you are trying to solve. However, there is no way around it. To "start over", as you asked, you will necessary have to send every photo outside of Aperture, duplicates included, and them import them. I.e., you will have duplicates no matter what.

To answer your question specifically, the best way to "start over" in your case is probably to "relocate Masters" for every photo in your library to a location of your choosing, trash your library (which would then contain only your project structure, and not any photos), and then create a new library and reimport your photos. Keep in mind what I stated above, though. You will just end up with a new library with the same structure as the old library.

nathan

Problem with library and vault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.