Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Share Purchased Content

I know you can do home sharing, but how can you share content purchased through the Apple Store with people who aren't on your network? I understand you are allowed to share with a certain number of other computers, but I'm not sure how many, nor how to go about it. So, if someone comes over and copies some TV shows over to their computer, what needs to be done in order for them to view the files in iTunes on their computer?

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:28 PM

You would have to authorize their computers using your account.

Note that the degree to which you are implying sharing very likely goes beyond that according to licensed use. It isn't intended, for example, that you share (quasi give) your movies with your friend who lives next door. It's really there so an individual or a family who would normally have group access to items can continue to do so, or so if you own a cmputer, an iPhone, and an iPod you can keep a copy on each. You haven't purchased the right to distribute 5 copies of everything to any 5 people.

iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

Also read http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html about 1/4 the way down are "Usage Rules".

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2012 3:28 PM in response to sudont

You would have to authorize their computers using your account.

Note that the degree to which you are implying sharing very likely goes beyond that according to licensed use. It isn't intended, for example, that you share (quasi give) your movies with your friend who lives next door. It's really there so an individual or a family who would normally have group access to items can continue to do so, or so if you own a cmputer, an iPhone, and an iPod you can keep a copy on each. You haven't purchased the right to distribute 5 copies of everything to any 5 people.

iTunes Store: About authorization and deauthorization - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

Also read http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html about 1/4 the way down are "Usage Rules".

Mar 10, 2012 5:53 PM in response to Limnos

Yeah, they're not trying to prevent you from sharing with a few friends. It's considered acceptable use and it's perfectly legal - and reasonable - to do so. What they don't want you to do is strip out, or bypass, the DRM. That said, the person I'm trying to share with is my roommate, but we can't do home sharing because I take my computer with me on the road.

I meant to ask this the first time - when you authorize another computer, does this allow access to your Apple accounts? In other words, could that computer now be used to make Apple Store purchases? Can that be prevented?

Mar 10, 2012 6:50 PM in response to sudont

Sharing with friends isn't acceptable use. Even items that don't have DRM cannot be shared with friends unless they happen to be in the room hearing the music as you are playing it for yourself. I provided you with a link and it does say for personal use which does not include roommates unless they happen to be in the room as you are playing the music or you lend them your computer.

Mar 10, 2012 10:24 PM in response to sudont

It's considered acceptable use and it's perfectly legal

Yes it's legal, but it's not supported by Apple and iTunes.

Technology experts are working on a movie storage system where YOU have physical possession of the movie.

This system stores the movie digitally on an optical disk system that will not be dependent upon a congested, complicated, and fragile network.

Because all of the data is stored only a few feet from your television, all the bottlenecks are removed. Performance and reliability are virtually flawless.

Further, the system will not utilize any form of security codes, authentications, or passwords. Once the optical disc is purchased it can be moved around freely at will, and can even be lent or given to friends and neighbors with zero hassles.

Mar 10, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Limnos

Sharing with friends isn't acceptable use.

Simply not true.

Technology experts are working on a movie storage system where YOU have physical possession of the movie.

Perhaps they will call it a Digital Video Disc? Although I can envision - in the future - having a problem retrieving these storage sytems from the persons you lent them to. I can certainly remember lending analog storage systems in the past - called "records" - and never seeing them again. This is why backups are important.

How to Share Purchased Content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.