Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you convert a negative digital image to a positive?

When I scanned some of my slides they turned into negatives. How can I get them back to positive images?

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 6:32 PM

See this post of Léonie in the thread B&W negatives to positive photos.

16 replies

Mar 9, 2012 9:58 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

User uploaded file

As I recently discovered, you actually can create a negative using Aperture 🙂, with the "Curves" controls.

• Add a "Curves"-Brick from the "Adjustments"-drop down menu,
  • set the channel to RGB,
  • and invert the RGB curve by dragging the left handle upward and the right handle down.

This will invert the mapping of the luminance - black to white and white to black.

Cheers

Léonie

P.S. But thanks for pointing out my quartz filter action! 🙂

Mar 10, 2012 7:45 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Well, it is as permanent as any other revertible image adjustment in Aperture, unless you export and finalize the adjustment. 😉

But I have doubts for different reasons: To do a correct negative - positive - conversion, we would have to know the characteristic curve the scanner used, when it created the negative in the first place. My Automator action you quoted, was meant to be used with B/W negatives, so no color adjustment would have been necessary. I doubt, that a true color negative can be converted by simply inverting the luminosity curve. Probably some additional tweaking will be necessary.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 10, 2012 8:11 AM in response to smartsale

The simplist way to a batch conversion is what i am looking for.

Then try just the Curves adjustment, I posted,

• have a look if it looks good,
  • adjust one image and select it
  • lift the adjustment with the Lift&Stamp tool,
  • and then select all your shots that need conversion at once -
  • and stamp the adjustment onto them

You can always undo this, if it is not satisfactory.

Mar 10, 2012 8:32 AM in response to léonie

And if you (OP) want to refine that a little. Assuming that Léonie's Curves inversion is useful (it should be, but no reason to proceed if it is not). IME, a quick luminance triage prior to the batch conversion is often worth the trouble. Quickly divide your 500 Images into sub-groups by overall exposure: light, medium, dark. Produce one good inversion for each sub-group. Include, as needed, minor tweaks with the Exposure and/or Levels Bricks. Lift & Stamp per sub-group. Quickly check results. Remove temporary grouping.

The quick triage can be done with temporarily-applied ratings. Use 1-star ("1") for dark, 2-star ("2") for medium, and 3-star ("3") for light. Then filter by this rating, select all, and create Albums. After approving all the conversions, delete the Albums and reset the ratings to Un-rated ("0").

The principle here is that many optimizations are luminance-based, and it's good to create and apply them specific to the luminance-distribution of the originals.

OTOH, this may not help at all 😉 . Try any "ready-to-stamp" adjustments on a few Images with at least one from each general luminance group. If it works well, no reason to sub-divide.

How do you convert a negative digital image to a positive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.