Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chinese characters sometimes display as mojibake

I would say about 75% of the time I open iTunes, Chinese characters (of songs, albums, etc.) display fine. But the other 25% of the time, they display as empty boxes. The annoying thing is that it seems completely random whether Chinese characters display correctly: it could go from working one day to not working the next and then suddenly working again a day later. As far as I can tell, I haven't touched any font/localization options in Windows, so I don't know what is causing this behavior.

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 6:34 PM

Try this:

Go to Control Panel, Fonts.

On the left pane click "Font settings" > uncheck "Hide fonts based on language settings", Click "Ok" at the bottom. Restart you computer just to be sure the setting went through. See if that helps.

7 replies

Jun 12, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Tony1337

Sorry for bringing up an old post... The method of unchecking "Hide fonts based on language settings." works after a restart. However, if I restart my computer again, the characters are changed back to squares, so I have to check "Hide fonts based on language settings," restart, then can I see the characters again.

Also, iTunes' Convert ID3 tag -> reverse unicode does not work. It just changes squares to other random shapes and characters.

Does anyone have a permanent fix for this?

Chinese characters sometimes display as mojibake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.