4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 9:23 PM by anthonybperez
Rob8008 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I could not find any recent helpful answers via Google, but eventually discovered, by trial and error, that you need to delete the failed downloads in three places namely:

 

/Library/Updates (this is probably unnecessary)

 

and the *two* files here:-

/private/var/folders/<complicated long path>/<name>

 

where <name> ends in .pkg and also in .pkg.resumeData (i.e. the "same name" twice)

 

I found out where these were being saved by (*immediately* after the update-failure), typing

 

find /private/var/folders -newerct "1 minute ago" -name "*.resumeData"

 

and sure enough, these corresponded to the failed downloads. I removed them with

sudo rm /private/var/folders/<complicated long path discovered via find/<name>.pgk

sudo rm /private/var/folders/<complicated long path discovered via find/<name>.pgk.resumeData

 

and then the software update started working again instead of always aborting with e.g. "iTunes: partially downloaded" etc.

 

The reason for the original failure is my poor internet service that constantly breaks halfway through any long-ish downloads.

 

An example of the actual filepath on my 10.6.8 Mac OSX is:

/private/var/folders/02/027LjtRMGXSZNggzpqLQg++++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.SoftwareU pdate/swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/<same amount again in length>

in other words, really long winded and very difficult to find (I have been trying to do this all day and could not find anything via the www) - I hope it helps you!


MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)