Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS5.1 Upgrade Problem

When attempting to upgrade to iOS 5.1 directly on my iPod Touch 4g, am receiving message " Unable to Install Update. An error occurred installing iOS5.1" Recommendations?

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 10:39 PM

6 replies

Mar 13, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Happy retiree

I successfully loaded iOS 5.1 onto my iPod Touch 4G the day after I posted my original question. I performed the following sequence of activities.

1. I shut off, then restarted my iPod.

2. I then did a reset by simultaneously pressing the power on button and the home button.

3. I tried once more, at this time, to download the update directly on the iPod, but I still received the same message as I originally reported.

4. I then connected the iPod to my computer and using iTunes, was able to successfully download and install the new operating system.

I have been reading, on other sites, that the message I was getting indicated that the servers were busy. I am assuming that separate servers are being used to download directly to mobile devices as different from computer downloads via iTunes.

Good luck!

iOS5.1 Upgrade Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.