Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freezes when I click on Edit | Preferences

It only freezes if another user is logged onto the computer; if I log off the other user, it doesn't freeze when I select Edit | Preferences.

I have Prevent...from syncing automatically checked.

I have tried deleting preferences xml file.

Windows 7 64-bit

iTunes version 10.6.0.40

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 10:10 PM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2012 3:09 PM in response to doteddy

I am experiencing the exact same issue as doteddy. Additionally, I am not able to sync an iPod on any account other than the first account that is logged in.

For example:

• Boot Win 7 64 bit;
  • I can access iTunes Preferences and sync an iPod Touch without any issue;
  • Close iTunes in Account "A";
  • Switch User and Log into Account "B" (note Account "A" is still logged, but I have switch over to using Account "B";
  • I am unable to access Preferences in Account "B" and I am unable to sync an iPod on Account "B";
  • Log out of Account "B";
  • Log out of Account "A";
  • Log back into Account "B";
  • Now that I am only logged into Account "B" I can access Preferences and Sync the iPod Touch on Account "B";

I have spent five hours trying to resolve this issue, unsucessfully. I have tried many solutions suggested by others with similar problems, but to no avail. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and repaired iTunes several times. I have also tried creating new user accounts and using alternate accounts. The problem doesn't seem to be associated with specific user accounts; rather it is associated with being logged into more than one account simultaneously.

The problem is fully repeatable on my Win 7 64 bit system with iTunes 10.6.1.7 installed.

Note: the accounts that I am using (i.e. account "A" and account "B") have different security privileges. While I don't think this is material to the issue, I mention this just in case.

May 8, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Arctic_Hare

This is beacuse syncserver.exe is running as the first user. this application is not closed when itunes is closed. Aparently itunes can not use syncserver if it is running under another user context.

Resole your issue by doing the following

Close itunes (if open as user2)

use task manager to kill the syncserver.exe process (running as user1) You may need to hit the button show processes from all users.

Open itunes as user2

I had the same issue, this resolved it.

iTunes freezes when I click on Edit | Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.