Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D4 raw

I wanted to know when Apple wll be releasing the next update for processing RAW files for the Nikon D4?

I have one on order and should be receiving it soon. The first ones are being shipped on March 15 in the order of purchase date. Since I ordered it at the first possible order date allowed, I am hoping that mine will be shipped in one of the early batches and would like to use Aperture to work with the shots.

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 6:12 AM

Only Nikon will know that for sure. Until the raw support will be released, you can use Aperture, by importing RAW+jpeg pairs and by setting the jpeg as master. Afte the raw support will be available, you can reprocess the raw in Aperture and switch to the raw as master.

Enjoy your new camera!

LĂ©onie

The current raw support by Aperture is published on this page:

Raw Support for Leading Cameras: http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Steve Lacey

Only Nikon will know that for sure. Until the raw support will be released, you can use Aperture, by importing RAW+jpeg pairs and by setting the jpeg as master. Afte the raw support will be available, you can reprocess the raw in Aperture and switch to the raw as master.

Enjoy your new camera!

LĂ©onie

The current raw support by Aperture is published on this page:

Raw Support for Leading Cameras: http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

Mar 10, 2012 7:31 AM in response to léonie

I have similar curiosity abou the D800, which I have ordered. I think it is likely a combination of Nikon and Apple, as I notice that Adobe is advertising both are ready to work in Lightroom 4 (but no word about L3 or PS -- that latter will probably only be for CS5).

In the case of the D800, it will be very interesting to see how the selection of how much of the sensor to use will impact RAW. That is, will one decoder fit all sizes? This will not be an issue with the D4, which has the smaller sensor.

Ernie

Mar 10, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

In trying to get a step ahead, since I have CS5 Photoshop, I went to their site and found out they have a "Adobe PS Camera Raw 6.7 Release Candidate. This is the step just before the final release. This decoder includes the D4, D800, & D800E along with Canons & Fuji Fine Pix cameras. You can go here to DL it and click on another link to see the complete list from the page:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

It downloaded easily and installed fine. I had found some sample shots D4 and they opened up easily. Adobe has a special forum for those who did the DL to discuss how the converter works for them which helps adobe make any final fine tuning to it.

The physical dimensions of the sensors are almost the same since both are Full Frame ones. D4 = 36 x 23.9 and the D800 = 35.9 x 24. Since the D4 is a 16.2 MP camera & has larger pixels, it was designed to be more light sensitive in its normal ISO range up to 12,800 with a boost to 204,800 (not a misprint) while the D800 normal range only goes up to 6400 with a boost to 25,600. The sample shots I opened included a 12,800 which as you can expect was grainy but the image was sharp and detailed.

Still looking for any info from Apple about their update to Aperture which is separate from Adobe and will probably include a variation of the cameras that Adobe includes. But will be shooting more jpegs at first as leonieDF mentions.

I am really looking forward to shooting the real thing! 🙂

Mar 10, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Steve Lacey

Should have specified "smaller" as number of pixels, and not physical size!

I don't understand all the tech talk about what they did to have so many more pixels, yet pitch the D800 as competitive with medium format cameras, but I am anxious to test with the real thing too. And to see what it can do with video.

Thanks for the link -- hope to not need it by virture of an update to Apple's camera RAW before I receive the camera.

Ernie

Mar 16, 2012 10:09 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Yes, I have installed the RAW update for Aperture & there was also one for Photoshop CS5 which I have downloaded, also.

cashaww -- I haven't tried using Nikon software in a long time. Once I get the D4 I will see how I like Aperture and/or PS5 first when I get some RAW files that I have shot. I can then try Nikon Capture NX2 since they have a 60 day trial period which should be enough time to figure out which will work best under what type of shooting situations.

Thanks to all.

Nikon D4 raw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.