Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD slow to refresh on Lion

I have a Mac Mini running Lion (10.7.3) which I control only via ARD (3.5.2) - no physical monitor is connected to it. When I access it via ARD from my other Macs the screen has lots of black areas in ARD where the screen should be displayed. Typically I have to open an application full screen on the Mac Mini to get the screen to refresh and then it is ok from then on.

When I was running Snow Leopard it would always load the screen fully on connection but in Lion it doesn't. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 5:56 AM

12 replies

Mar 11, 2012 12:02 PM in response to inforr

Did you try turning off and then back on remote management? (if you have remote login enabled, you should be able to ssh using the terminal and use the kickstart command to reboot the service)

What if you set a lower screen resolution on the mac mini?

is this over ethernet or wifi?

if it's wifi, have you tried ethernet.

If it's Ethernet have you checked what levle of physical connection it's getting? (hardware tab of ethernet in system prefrences networking)

dose the issue go away if you connect a display?

Mar 11, 2012 8:17 PM in response to inforr

So when you check network , ethernet, hardware, it shows that the computer is using the ethernet 1000baseT/UTP, with full-duplex, and a MTU of ? The reason I ask is a cable can go bad.

Apple Remote Desktop: Configuring remotely via command line (kickstart)

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -restart -agent

you could also try directly connecting a client to the server.

Mar 23, 2012 8:05 AM in response to TeenTitan

I managed to try the command when the screen need to be refreshed but it made no difference. Is there anything else I can try? The only solution for me is to drag a window around the virtual remote desktop screen to force the screen to refresh/repaint. I can post some screenshots to help illustrate this if that helps.

Jul 5, 2013 7:28 AM in response to TeenTitan

I have the same issue with my 2013 Mac Mini Server (top of the line specs, 16GB RAM, etc) over a GIG-E local network directly connected to the same switch. I've tried different cables and ports to ensure it's not a network issue. Ironically enough, I get a solid connection with the Windows RDP client on my laptop to a Windows VM running on that same server; but when I try to directly connect via ARD, I get the slow refresh / blocked appearance you see in the attached screenshot.

User uploaded file

Jul 5, 2013 11:58 AM in response to mibsfo

I managed to solve this by calling Apple support. It turned out this is a known issue and the case was escalated. The solution is you need to have one of the VGA adapters attached. It acts like a sort of terminator. The one that worked best for me for my late 2009 Mac Mini was the mini Displayport to VGA adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter?fnode =51

Apple were nice enough to send me one as my system was still under Applecare so they maybe able to do the same for you.

ARD slow to refresh on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.