7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2012 10:12 AM by Kirby Krieger
smartsale Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I often have to check to see what pictures were taken in 1992 or maybe 2001.  I find it frustrating to have to keep clicking on the arrow to go back  or forward 3 months at a time.  Is there some easier way to migrate through the calendar that so far has not been revealed to me?

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,720 points)

Try the "Date"-rule instead of the "Calendar"-rule and set the "Date"-rule to "Capture Year" is 1999 or something.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,945 points)

Use the Date Rule.  Just put a year in the search field, and it will filter for that year.  (The field parser is clever.)

The Calendar Rule is a good idea, not fully thought out (imho) -- your frustration is shared.

(Added:)

Note, too, that you can filter Projects in Projects view.  Just put "2009" in the Projects View search field.  This works very well as long as you are using the "One Project = one shoot" method of organization.  Nevermind.  Works for my personal Library because my Project-naming convention includes the year of each shoot.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

• 3. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?
    Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (23,830 points)

And because a picture is worth a thousands words

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 11.47.49.png

I would also suggest if this is something you do regularly to create smart folders for each year. Then you can just click on the smart folder and not enter the search each time. In the Library Albums folder I created a  folder Local which contains albums that apply to the while library

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 11.52.30.png

And of course you can combine searches so for example:

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 12.00.34.png

you can have all images from 2008 that are over two stars

• 4. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?

Well-illustrated excellent idea!

Here's my personal Library set-up:

Screenshot:

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/178/17817455-1.jpg

Notes:

- you can rename  the container "Library Albums".  I try to name this after each Library, just as a secondary reminder of which Library I am currently using.

- I included my "__Top ... " in this screenshot even though it is not a child of my "Library Albums" container.  I use it when I want to park a container, collapse the Library outline, and then move the parked container.  This is quicker and less error prone dragging-and-dropping when using a Library with tens of thousands of containers.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,720 points)

you can rename  the container "Library Albums".  I try to name this after each Library, just as a secondary reminder of which Library I am currently using

- Wow! I just noticed, there is no emoticon "deeply impressed" available - consider it painted here.

I'll rename my Library albums immediately.

Is there anything in your Library left, just like the Apple designers created it?

Cheers

Léonie

• 6. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?
    Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (23,830 points)

Have you had the renames since you did an upgrade to the library? Did the names get changed back during the upgrade or did they remain as you changed them.

From my old sys admin days I prefer to keep the installed stuff as is and to add my changes to a 'local' structure. This way I can always tell what;s original and what changes I made. Makes restoring and upgrading easier.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to solve my Calendar Problem?

Good point.

Have you had the renames since you did an upgrade to the library? Did the names get changed back during the upgrade or did they remain as you changed them.

I don't know -- I never used Ap2, and I don't know where along the Ap3.x timeline I started doing this.  Afaict, this is the only pre-built container that allows the user to change the name.  I suspect that's more by design than an oversight -- but I can't test it yet.  There are several things odd about the container, starting with its existence.  I've never had any problems with it, though.