Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Request Help RE: How to Move iPod Content onto Different PC

I have an iPod which was synched with a PC which died a couple of years ago. How can I move the content of the iPod onto a different laptop or PC so that I can add to and update my library? Because the iPod is linked to my Apple ID prior to me updating it, b/c my email changed, will that be a factor? Thanks.

iPod classic

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:29 AM

1. The iPod isn't linked to your Apple ID -- iTunes would be. You should be able to use your old ID and update the email address. In fact, you can probably update the email address online via Apple.com

2. Take a look at this support post of mine -- in particular, para. 8. That will describe how to find tools to move your music from your iPod back into iTunes... but don't do it yet...

3. First, read this summary post of mine about synching problems with iTunes 10.5 (and possibly 10.6). If you don't have your library and iTunes 10.5 already on your laptop, I would install 10.4 instead (there are links in the post). Let's get things working with a known reliable version of iTunes before we add another variable to the mix.

4. Once you have iTunes 10.4 on your new laptop, connect it to your Apple ID and authorize the computer. You should then be able to download purchased content (if you're the type that buys from iTunes).

5. At this point -- I strongly suggest backing up your iTunes library (the .itl file). Get a USB drive larger than your iPod, connect it to your laptop, and assign it a fixed device letter. I suggest M: for music. Then follow the instructions in my summary post on moving your music library to an external drive, and move it to that device. Consider then backing up your music library.

6. Exit iTunes. iTunes is normally not running when you copy music back from the iPod, but follow the instructions from your utility.

7. At this point, use the utility you found to copy the music from the iPod into iTunes (make sure it works with 10.4).

8. Once this is done, follow the instructions on your utility to make sure everything it working.

9. Once everything is working, back up your .itl itunes library again and save it someplace safe. If you ever upgrade itunes, you should be able to go back to 10.4 at this point if the newer version doesn't work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2012 10:29 AM in response to LittleA1

1. The iPod isn't linked to your Apple ID -- iTunes would be. You should be able to use your old ID and update the email address. In fact, you can probably update the email address online via Apple.com

2. Take a look at this support post of mine -- in particular, para. 8. That will describe how to find tools to move your music from your iPod back into iTunes... but don't do it yet...

3. First, read this summary post of mine about synching problems with iTunes 10.5 (and possibly 10.6). If you don't have your library and iTunes 10.5 already on your laptop, I would install 10.4 instead (there are links in the post). Let's get things working with a known reliable version of iTunes before we add another variable to the mix.

4. Once you have iTunes 10.4 on your new laptop, connect it to your Apple ID and authorize the computer. You should then be able to download purchased content (if you're the type that buys from iTunes).

5. At this point -- I strongly suggest backing up your iTunes library (the .itl file). Get a USB drive larger than your iPod, connect it to your laptop, and assign it a fixed device letter. I suggest M: for music. Then follow the instructions in my summary post on moving your music library to an external drive, and move it to that device. Consider then backing up your music library.

6. Exit iTunes. iTunes is normally not running when you copy music back from the iPod, but follow the instructions from your utility.

7. At this point, use the utility you found to copy the music from the iPod into iTunes (make sure it works with 10.4).

8. Once this is done, follow the instructions on your utility to make sure everything it working.

9. Once everything is working, back up your .itl itunes library again and save it someplace safe. If you ever upgrade itunes, you should be able to go back to 10.4 at this point if the newer version doesn't work.

Mar 10, 2012 11:09 AM in response to LittleA1

CaliforniaHighwayGuy-

Thank you for helping me. I am so technically challenged that I ran into a snag while trying to follow your instructions. I had already installed iTunes 10.5 (or 6) onto my laptop, so I followed your instructions to uninstall it and the accompanying programs/drivers. Then I followed the link which you provided to install iTunes 10.4. Unfortunately, I now get an error message which reads 'the file iTunes Library .itl cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes.

Would you please advise how to proceed.

Also, would you please clarify point number 7 from your original instructions to me? Where would I have found this utility?

Yikes! I am hopeless...

Thanks-

Anna

Mar 10, 2012 12:13 PM in response to LittleA1

LittleA1 wrote:

CaliforniaHighwayGuy-

Thank you for helping me. I am so technically challenged that I ran into a snag while trying to follow your instructions. I had already installed iTunes 10.5 (or 6) onto my laptop, so I followed your instructions to uninstall it and the accompanying programs/drivers. Then I followed the link which you provided to install iTunes 10.4. Unfortunately, I now get an error message which reads 'the file iTunes Library .itl cannot be read because it was created by a new version of iTunes.

Would you please advise how to proceed.

If you look at the summary post, there's a paragraph that begins "Note: Changes are made to the iTunes library between 10.4 and 10.5.". It describes how a previous version of your library was saved in the "Previous iTunes Library" directory.; you can attempt to recover your file from there.

Also, would you please clarify point number 7 from your original instructions to me? Where would I have found this utility?

Yikes! I am hopeless...

Take a look at this post by forum regular Zevoneer. There he gives pointers to a lot of different software packages that can be used to move music from the iPod back into iTunes. When I did it a number of years ago, I used Copytrans, but there are many such packages.

Request Help RE: How to Move iPod Content onto Different PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.