Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help needed on publishing a movie

I published a 2 hours movie to iDVD (it took 5 hours btw) and i still can't create an iDVD. When i am in iDVD (create a new project) It shows me the movis in my iMovie projects, but it also says "you must first publish this movie before you can use it in iMovie".

Why didn't it work the 1st time?

airport extreme-OTHER

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 9:44 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2012 10:28 PM in response to fmaximus

Hi

I tell how I do it.

A. in iMovie - I do not "Share to iDVD" as result will suffer - I "Share to Media Browser" and as Large (Not HD or any other resolution)

B. iDVD is limited - NOT in Gbs or physical size of movie - BUT in time - so a 2 hour movie is more than iDVD can put onto a SL-DVD (but a DL-DVD can take it if right encoding quality is selected)

Time = Movie duration PLUS Menu (and menu can be up to 15 minutes - I use a very simple one "Brushed Metal" from old themes and No Audio and No Animations - takes about 1 minutes and leave 119 to my moves)

iDVD 08, 09 & 11 has three levels of qualities. (version 7.0.1, 7,0.4 & 7.1.1) and iDVD 6 has the two last ones

• Professional Quality

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - BEST (but not always for short movies e.g. up to 45 minutes in total)

• Best Performances

(movies + menus less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD (Can be best for short movies)

• High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6)

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

Menu can take 15 minutes or even more - I use a very simple one with no audio or animation like ”Brushed Metal” in old Themes.

About double on DL DVDs.

C. in iDVD I import my movie from the Media button down Right and from here - Movies. Now You find it in the list and can drag it into the big Menu Window to the Left.

D. I secure a minimum of 25Gb free space on the Start-Up (Mac OS) Hard Disk - iDVD and Mac OS needs this during process and it can not be used on any other hard disks.

E. I then Save as a DiskImage (under File) and test this so it runs OK

F. Then burn with iDVD (new re-calculating time) or from DiskImage by using Disk Util tool. It can not just be copied on DeskTop - If done so You get a Data-DVD and it will not play in any DVD-Player.

Yours Bengt W

help needed on publishing a movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.