Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine image corrupts every week or so.

I have a new Apple Mac Pro, 10.7.3. This is backing up to a NAS.

The first backup will work and complete a backup. This will work for about a week, backing up successfully. Then it displays the message:

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you."

"Click Start New Backup to create a new backup. This will remove your existing backup history. This could take several hours. Click Back Up Later to be reminded tomorrow. Time Machine won’t perform backups during this time."

I cannot get rid of this message without starting a new image.

However this is a pain. My 300GB of data takes more than a day over WiFi to create new image, and I loose all my history. I author documents, and do actually want to keep my history.

I have two other Apples backing up successfully, they do not sugger this problem.

Can any user help me find out what is wrong with this computer?

Many thanks!

Ben

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:30 AM

3 replies

Mar 10, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

This is undoughtbaly true. (I did used to have a time-capsule, and would still if it had not burnt out. So I have a ReadyNAS. Not a nice thing, but gets the job done.)

However I have two other Mac Books on older versions, which do back up correctly. Which may be luck, of there may be a reason.

So I want to find a log file, or something, which might give me a definitive reason, and therefore I can work out a way to keep it backing up for more than a week at a time.

Any help from any users would be great!

Ben

Time machine image corrupts every week or so.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.