Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing an old iPod Touch (1st Gen) and new iPad (3rd Gen)

I have an old iPod Touch (1st Generation) which runs iOS 3.1.3, the latest possible for the device. It is synced to my Windows desktop PC. However a lot of apps are not fully updated because the newer versions are no longer iOS 3 compatible.

I am getting an iPad (3rd Generation) on launch day next week and will obviously need to sync it to my PC with fully updated apps, however, I also want to keep using my iPod Touch will all its apps too.

Is it possible to have two sets of apps on iTunes on one PC, one for the old iPod Touch with its older apps and one with the new apps for the new iPad.

I update all the apps on the iPod Touch itself so I never update an app that is no longer compatible with iOS 3.0

The solution I've come up with at the moment is to copy the iTunes folder on to my laptop and use that for one of the devices and use the desktop for the other. But would like to use just one PC if possible.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3, iPod Touch (1st Generation)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 12:25 PM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2012 3:51 PM in response to Mike9586

Mike,

If I understand your question, I believe that it is possible to do that. On a Mac, at least, I'm syncing a first gen iPod touch, an iPhone 4, and a first gen iPad, all with a varying set of apps and different sets of music and photos. I haven't had any problem at all.

But I think you might be asking if version 1.03 (the latest possible iPod touch version) of the app Shoot2Kill, for example, can coexist on your PC with version 5.5 of Shoot2Kill, the one that's iOS5 compatible. Not sure about that one - honestly never crossed my mind. If you'll give me a couple of hours I'll try to check and see if varying versions of the same app can coexist in the same iTunes.

Mike

Mar 20, 2012 5:57 PM in response to Mike Strohmeyer

It turns out that I took all the apps off my touch, but I have an iPhone 3 that hasn't been updated in at least six months. There's got to be something on there that's incompatible with the current iOS architecture, but it's syncing as I type this with no problems.

You've got your iTunes copied to your laptop - why not use the original copy for a little snooping? I think you'll find that everything works just fine.

BTW, there are several apps in the iTunes library on my desktop that are duplicated. I never could figure out why, but my guess is that some of them are versions that will run on one handheld and not the other.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Syncing an old iPod Touch (1st Gen) and new iPad (3rd Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.