Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get audio on my HDTV when connected to my Macbook

So, I've connected up my late 2009 white Macbook to my HDTV and got a lovely picture. Only problem is no sound through the TV - the sound is only from the Mac.

I tried looking on Preferences - Sound - Output but it only mentions the Mac internal speakers under that heading ... nothing else ... even when connected up to the TV. No HDMI or anything ...

Do I need another cable from the audio port on the Mac to an audio port on the TV? And if so what will that look like and where can I get one? I live in the UK and am a grannygeek so I need the answer in the simplest of terms please. 😁

Cheers

Angie

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 2:37 PM

If you connect the MacBook using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter you will probably need to use external speakers or a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack to RCA sound plugs connected to a stereo sound system if your TV doesn't have separate RCA input plugs or a 3.5mm stereo input plug for audio with the HDMI plug. The Mini DisplayPort to HDMI doesn't carry audio unless you have the Mid 2010 model 7,1 and there're no audio plugs on most TVs to work with HDMI since it's expecting audio with the HDMI.

If you have the Late 2008 model 5,1 Aluminum Unibody or Late 2009 model 6,1 White Unibody with the Mini DisplayPort rather than the Mini-DVI there is an adapter that can combine video and audio to HDMI. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802 &p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

To see which model you have go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select About This Mac, then click on More Info(and then System Report if you are running 10.7), When System Profiler comes up check the Model Identifier and post it back here.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2012 2:37 PM in response to Jardange

If you connect the MacBook using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter you will probably need to use external speakers or a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack to RCA sound plugs connected to a stereo sound system if your TV doesn't have separate RCA input plugs or a 3.5mm stereo input plug for audio with the HDMI plug. The Mini DisplayPort to HDMI doesn't carry audio unless you have the Mid 2010 model 7,1 and there're no audio plugs on most TVs to work with HDMI since it's expecting audio with the HDMI.

If you have the Late 2008 model 5,1 Aluminum Unibody or Late 2009 model 6,1 White Unibody with the Mini DisplayPort rather than the Mini-DVI there is an adapter that can combine video and audio to HDMI. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802 &p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

To see which model you have go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select About This Mac, then click on More Info(and then System Report if you are running 10.7), When System Profiler comes up check the Model Identifier and post it back here.

Can't get audio on my HDTV when connected to my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.