Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend wifi network with Express not working

I have an Airport Extremem base station already, and I'm trying to extend the wifi with an Airport Express placed on the far end of my house. The set up seemed to go okay, but after the Express reboots after set up, it briefly comes up with green LED on the unit itself and on my Airport Utility on my iPhone then the status is amber color with 1 status message that says:

"This AirPort base station was unable to extend the wireless network. Make sure the wireless network you're trying to extend was set up and is working correctly, that you entered a matching wireless network password into this device, and that this device is in range of the wireless network."

1. My existing wifi network is working fine. I'm just trying to boost the signal on the far end of my house.

2. My network password is correct.

3. The device is definitely in range of the wireless network because it's at the same spot where my TV is, and the TV gets wireless connect to my network (albeit very low signal strength).

Help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 1:12 PM

Check the AirPort Extreme using AirPort Utility - Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons

There must be a check mark entered next to "Allow this network to be extended"

Is that the case?

26 replies

Mar 10, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Paul J

Please try the following steps to configure both AirPorts for an extended wireless network. (Note: I am assuming that both AirPorts are 802.11n models. Also these instructions are for version 5.x of the AirPort Utility.)

Dynamic WDS - Extending a Wireless Network Setup

• Temporarily connect the AirPort Express to the Extreme via an Ethernet cable during the set up phase.
  • Open AirPort Utility, and then, select the AirPort Extreme.
  • Choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click the base station to open the configuration in a separate window. Enter the base station password if necessary.
  • Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then, click Wireless.
  • Choose “Create a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu, and then, select the “Allow this network to be extended” checkbox.
  • Next, select the AirPort Express, and then, choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click the base station to open its configuration in a separate window. Enter the base station password if necessary.
  • Choose “Extend a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu, and then, choose the network you want to extend from the Network Name pop-up menu.
  • Enter the base station network and base station password if necessary.
  • Click Update to update the base station with new network settings.

(ref: Pages 43-44 of Apple AirPort Networks.)

(ref: Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations)

Mar 10, 2012 2:54 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob -

When I go in the Airport Utility (v6.0) for the Extreme, then under the Wireless tab, I don't see a check mark for "Allow this network to be extended".

Here's what I see:

Network Mode (pull down menu with "Create a wireless netowrk" and "Extend a wireless network". By default, it's on "Create a wireless network".

Wireless Network Name: this has the name of my SSID

Wireless Security: set to WPA2 Personal

Wireless Password:

Verify Password:

Check box (checked) for "Remember this password in my keychain

Then there's a button for "Wireless Options".

Should I select "Extend a wireles network"? I thought I had already done that.

Mar 10, 2012 3:22 PM in response to Paul J

It is not downgrading...

5.6 and 6.0 were release on the exact same day.

They released 5.6 because it has more functionality.....

You can't delete 6.0 becuase it is now part of OS X system but you can have 5.6 right along side of it...

They will be updating 6.0 in the future to have the lost functionality of the other Airport Utility.

With 5.6, you will see this....

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2012 3:29 PM in response to Paul J

Version 6.0 is brand new and as such, it is typically exhibiting different behavior for different folks. Some users seem to be able to get the "extend" setup to work with Version 6.0.

Others....like me....cannot.

Version 5.6...which offers more features and functionality....can hardly be called a downgrade. It was introduced the same day as 6.0. You can keep both versions on your Mac and use the one that you want.

Don't be mislead into thinking that a higher number represents higher performance.

I imagine that Apple chose to call the new version "6" because it has a different look and matches the appearance of the mobile version of AirPort Utility for the iPhone and iPad. But, it is sorely lacking in some areas. Perhaps the next try will be better.

Jul 6, 2012 10:55 PM in response to Paul J

Anyone help,

I am trying to extend my wireless range of my Time Capsule using an Airport Express. I set up everything according to the instructions on this post and everything seems to be setup successfully but when I place the Express where my signal is weak, I am getting no improvement in the signal strength. Seems as if the Express is not communicating wirelessly with the Time Capsule but when I connect the Express to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet or to the iMac, I can see it on my Airport Utility and it seems that everything is properly set up. I am even getting a green light on the Express when I plug it at the spot where the signal is weak, which tells me it is connecting to the Time Capsule but no signal strength.

Your help is appreciated.

Apr 4, 2013 9:13 AM in response to Paul J

Update: I found this thread whilst struggling with the same problem. I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and the Airport Utility 6.2 still doesn't have this option.

I couldn't install Airport Utility 5.6, and I ended up using the WINDOWS version to check the "Allow this network to be extended".

Absolutely INSANE!!

Apr 4, 2013 9:17 AM in response to HJMGR

I couldn't install Airport Utility 5.6, and I ended up using the WINDOWS version to check the "Allow this network to be extended".

"Allow this network to be extended" is automatically enabled in AirPort Utilty 6.x. There is no need to try to enable the setting.

You are trying to mix instructions from different versions of AirPort Utility. That will not work.

Extend wifi network with Express not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.