Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone been able to upload an ibooks file with audio only files (m4a) in it? I keep getting the following error message during the upload in iTunes Producer: ERROR ITMS-9000: "Files of type audio/x-m4a are not allowed outside of widgets.

Has anyone been able to upload an ibooks file with audio only files (m4a) in it? I keep getting the following error message during the upload in iTunes Producer: ERROR ITMS-9000: "Files of type audio/x-m4a are not allowed outside of widgets. then it names the file as an m4p file. Everything works beautifully on the iPad through Preview, and validates through iTunes Producer up until the attempted upload. If you've been able to accomplish this, please let me know how you prepared your audio files. Many thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 1:45 PM

1 reply

Mar 19, 2012 4:47 PM in response to johnb47

Hello Fellow iBook Authors!

Today I received the same error that you all have been discussing. I tried selecting the DRM

and this did not work for me, though I'm glad it did for some. Here's what I did as a work-around. . .

Since iBooks Author did not have a problem with Videos, I simply used one of my video programs, ScreenFlow to turn the audio into a video file m4v. I added an image and extended the length or timing of the image to span the length of the audio file. Then exported as an .mov. I then opened QuickTime and opened the file and exported the file to iTunes.

You can use iMovie, Camtasia or any other progam that will allow you to export the audio as a movie file. Does this make sense? I hope this helps, at least in the short-term.

Michael Williams

Has anyone been able to upload an ibooks file with audio only files (m4a) in it? I keep getting the following error message during the upload in iTunes Producer: ERROR ITMS-9000: "Files of type audio/x-m4a are not allowed outside of widgets.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.