Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is v-e-r-y slow

Hello, I have Safari 5.0.6 with G5 1.8ghz (hard wired to the router) When I surf you tube, or some other sites, in the past 3-4 months, Safari has become very slow and it is almost impossible to view any videos. It takes forever for the pages to load... but when I use Firefoz or Google chrome, it load much faster.

Internet connection is fine, cuz I even use my Safari on my iPod, (via wireless) and it works great there!

was told by a genius to re-install Safari... but I dont want to loose my bookmarks!

michel

2-G5 1.8ghz, 1.5GB ram, 2-23Cinema displ, Epson 900, Sony TRV-17, MacBook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 6:03 PM

8 replies

Mar 11, 2012 10:22 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

ok It took a few attempts to reboot in SAFE mode.... cuz it hung on 2 occasions with the fans spinning out of control.

I am now in safe mode, and tried to reply with safari, but it kept quitting every time I clicked the apple discussion link in my email. I am now replying with Firefox as Safari does not seem to stay on! (update- I tried to send this message via firefox, it did not let me- got an error message 8 times) so I copied the text and sent it via email to my laptop, and logged in to this discussion on my laptop, and sent it via safari on my laptop.....

Safari on my desktop G5 keeps crashing in SAFE mode!

What do I do now?

Michel

Mar 12, 2012 10:55 AM in response to Michel Vézina

Michel,

You symptoms and their absence from other accounts makes me wonder if you have an incompatible extension or plug-in. Commercial anti-virus and/or internet security software can also create havoc.

Do Safari > Preferences and click on the "Extensions" tab. Is anything listed?

was told by a genius to re-install Safari... but I dont want to loose my bookmarks!

Although I think a reinstall is premature at this point, you can save bookmarks and reapply after reinstalling a browser. Before reinstalling, do File > Export Bookmarks... and save it to some place easy to find--I usually save it to my Desktop. After reinstalling (which may not mess your bookmarks as they are stored in your account, not the Application folder), doing File > Import bookmarks... will restore them.

Safari is v-e-r-y slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.