8 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 10:33 AM by Mr LuLu
Michel Vézina Level 4 Level 4 (1,145 points)

Hello, I have Safari 5.0.6 with G5 1.8ghz (hard wired to the router)  When I surf you tube, or some other sites,  in the past 3-4 months, Safari has become very slow and it is almost impossible to view any videos. It takes forever for the pages to load... but when I use Firefoz or Google chrome, it load much faster.

Internet connection is fine, cuz I even use my Safari on my iPod, (via wireless) and it works great there! 

was told by a genius to re-install Safari... but I dont want to loose my bookmarks!

michel

2-G5 1.8ghz, 1.5GB ram, 2-23Cinema displ, Epson 900, Sony TRV-17, MacBook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Michel Vézina Level 4 Level 4 (1,145 points)

in addition.. it appears to be user define... cuz when I go to different user, and use Safari, it does not hang, or make the video jittery!

michel

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5 (5,755 points)

Even though it's user specific, I want you to try a safe-boot anyway:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

At least to eliminate the login item theory.

It's probably an extension or plug-in though...

ok It took a few attempts to reboot in SAFE mode.... cuz it hung on 2 occasions with the fans spinning out of control.

I am now in safe mode, and tried to reply with safari, but it kept quitting every time I clicked the apple discussion link in my email.  I am now replying with  Firefox as Safari does not seem to stay on! (update- I tried to send this message via firefox, it did not let me- got an error message 8 times) so I copied the text and sent it via email to my laptop, and logged in to this discussion on my laptop, and sent it via safari on my laptop.....

Safari on my desktop G5 keeps crashing in SAFE mode!

What do I do now?

Michel

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5 (5,755 points)

Do a normal re-start, since safe-mode cleans up stuff, but doesn't load the full extensions.

Also, in Safari empty the Cache.

Keep us updated. We'll fix it one way or another.

ok restarted... and emptied the cache the videos with Safari are running better.... but gradually it becomes jittery again!

michel

• Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (32,325 points)

Michel,

You symptoms and their absence from other accounts makes me wonder if you have an incompatible extension or plug-in. Commercial anti-virus and/or internet security software can also create havoc.

Do Safari > Preferences and click on the "Extensions" tab. Is anything listed?

was told by a genius to re-install Safari... but I dont want to loose my bookmarks!

Although I think a reinstall is premature at this point, you can save bookmarks and reapply after reinstalling a browser. Before reinstalling, do File > Export Bookmarks... and save it to some place easy to find--I usually save it to my Desktop. After reinstalling (which may not mess your bookmarks as they are stored in your account, not the Application folder), doing File > Import bookmarks... will restore them.

Allan,

nothing listed in the extensions tab. Video on u tube are running better!.. a little jittery at the beginning

• Mr LuLu Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I don't know if it's any help, but I uninstalled the Evernote and LightsOut extension and it sped things back up nicely.

Was considering completely ditching Safari as it was doing my head in!