Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility - Won't Repair Flash/Thumb Drive

So my Mac froze for some reason, while my Kingston thumb/flash drive was in. I tried to eject it, but I could only force eject (which it said may cause issues). After that, whenever I put the thumb drive in, it said something like the drive won't work and I had to copy the files to my desktop. When I go into disk utility and click repair disk, it says this: "Disk Utility stopped repairing “UNTITLED 1”: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

I can't erase the thumbdrive, because it says I need a source, which I don't know what that means.

Can anybody help? The files are useless now as I have transferred them to a CD, so I'm fine with erasing the whole thing. And yes, I know I can get a new on at any store for cheap, but I'd like to know if this can be repaired. Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 7:17 PM

gretschdrummer wrote:

I can't erase the thumbdrive, because it says I need a source

In Disk Utility, select the thumb drive, rather than any volume on it. Go to Erase and reformat it. If it doesn't work, post here the exact error message.

12 replies

Mar 11, 2012 3:56 AM in response to gretschdrummer

You haven't mentioned how the thumb drive was formatted to begin with; is it GUID partition map and Mac OS Extended (Journalled), or is it FAT 32 with MBR partition map?

If it's the latter, DU can't repair it, but should be able to format it. However, the forced ejection may have damaged the file system to prevent that.

If it's FAT32, re-format it on a PC and try again on the Mac.

If it's Mac formatted, you could try erasing and reformatting on another Mac (or as Hackintosh says, from the DVD), but if that doesn't work, try the PC route; reformat to FAT32 on a PC (if the PC will recognise it - thay don't always), then go back to the Mac, repartition and format.

If that fails, it's recycling fodder.

Mar 12, 2012 4:28 AM in response to gretschdrummer

gretschdrummer wrote:

I tried that, and this is what I got:

Started erase on disk2s1 UNTITLED 1

Unmounting disk

Error: -9986: Could not modify partition map

For reference, the thumb drive is FAT32. I remember I had to change the format for it to work on my PS3.

Some simply have a short life span. I have been through a few over the years that simply died. Mostly cheap ones. Have some Sandisks still running along that are just as old but never a problem. Hit and miss sometimes and after they have played up like yours they can never really be trusted. Ditch it and buy a better quality one. IMHO.

Pete

Disk Utility - Won't Repair Flash/Thumb Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.