Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open project from flashdrive in iMovie

I worked on a project at a friend's house on her iMac, put it on my flashdrive, and tried to load it on my iMac at home (in a newly created computer account). When I open the iMovie file, iMovie opens but does not show my project, only shows "My First Project". I tried putting it on the desktop first (so as not to load it straight from the flashdrive), but that didn't work either. What can I do to get my project to open in iMovie?

iMovie '08

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 7:31 PM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2012 10:51 PM in response to kgsee

Hi

There are so many things to this.

A. Flash drive - I even don't know if they would ever work - very doubtful

B. External hard disks - MUST be Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted -

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange works for most other things BUT NOT FOR VIDEO no matter if iMovie, iDVD or FinalCut is used.

C. In the folder iMovie Projects - There are NO MOVIES - but text-documents related to the projects and this document points to the Raw material in iMovie Events folder and how it is supposed to be Played/Viewed in this particular project. e.g. play Clip A from 00:00:01:13 to 00:03:45:02 and so on. So there are no movies in the project folder.

D. So if both iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folder are copied over to an external hard disk - Then the iMovie in the second Mac has no links to this and will not find it.

SO to be able to work with one project on two Macs - all moving's of Events and Projects should be done within the iMovie Application - Not on DeskTop/Finder - do not alter or move any folder named

• iMovie Events

• iMovie Projects

on DeskTop/Finder - as they can mess-up and be very hard to impossible to mend.

Yours Bengt W

Unable to open project from flashdrive in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.