Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an Australian iPhone 4s work in Canada?

Does anyone know or have had experience with an Australian iPhone 4s working in Canada either roaming or with a Canadian SIM card?

I recently took my unlocked (from Apple) Australian iPhone 4s to the US and I could only get 'SOS Only' with my Telstra SIM card in it, it would roam on either AT&T or T-Mobile. It wouldn't work with a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM in it either, still 'SOS Only'. I'm wondering if it's the same case in Canada?

Thanks in advance,

/ Hami

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 1:29 AM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Andrew Hamilton

Try this: go to Settings > Mobile and switch "Enable 3G" to On. Make sure that "Mobile Data" is set to Off. I and my partner had the same issue roaming in Canada, each with an Australian iPhone 4 and Vodafone SIM, one locked, one unlocked, and the above settings solved it for us. The phones then used the local mobile cellular network for voice and text for international roaming, but prevented the phones accessing the Internet via the cellular network. They could still access the Internet via wifi. It's important to monitor mobile data usage for at least the first couple of days to make sure that no mobile data is being used. Go to Mobile > Settings, scroll down to the Mobile Data Usage section (just past the "Call Time" section) and make sure the entry for "Current Period Roaming" stays at zero bytes or does not increase from its initial value.

Does an Australian iPhone 4s work in Canada?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.