Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imessage won't work/activate after 5.1

I updated to 5.1 this morning, and now my imessage won't work. I try to turn it on, and I just get an activation error. "An error occurred during activation, try again".I've read in some other posts that my phone number should show by the imessage option? I don't see it anywhere. Once I get the activation error, then it provides me with the option to sign in using my appleID, but it when I do, it just keeps on reverting back to the sign in screen and won't connect. I've read through this forum and tried everything that I found - checked the date/time settings, checked my phone number, reset the networks, hard reset - and still it won't activate. What do I do?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 10:58 AM

13 replies

Mar 20, 2012 9:05 AM in response to MRunk

I tried a bunch of stuff. I just restarted the phone (turn off and back on) and it's working again. Not sure how long it will last. I did recieve a spoof Apple email a week or so ago saying my account had been charged $4,000. I knew it was fake because I don't have a limit that high. I wonder if mine was messing up because they wanted me to verify I hadn't been compromised?

Mar 25, 2012 12:38 PM in response to MRunk

Mine didn't work for 2 months and this fixed it, so I posted it in another discussion and have been getting "thank you" replies nearly daily:

Just update your date/time settings:

Settings

> General

>> Date & Time

>>> Set Automatically: Slide "ON"...If it's already on, then slide it off, chill for a bit (maybe restart it), then slide it back on.

I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1, but other users with 3GS, 4S, and even iTouch devices replied that it worked.

Imessage won't work/activate after 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.