Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expresscard/34-Sony SXS cards

Hey there
First post on the Apple forum - so here goes>
I have just ordered a 17" refurb laptop (2.3Ghz quad core) from Apple - one of the last before they dropped (why'd they do that?) the Expresscard slot.
And I have been reading - admitted old posts - that some users have had problems with the expresscard slot in SOME macbooks.
I will be needing to use this new Mac from the minute I open the box and installed the Sony software (it is being delivered to where I am filming).
Can anybody confirm, from their own experience, that this model is OK 'ingesting' the Sony SXS cards.

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 1:20 PM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2012 4:45 PM in response to SurreySteve

I have two 17" MBPs and I use the express card slot (with no problems), but only for eSata connections. Based on what I have seen on the Internet, these cards conform to the express card 34 standard.

Sony for many of their consumer products does not have Mac compatible software. However I did come across this which you may find encouraging (or perhaps you already are aware of this).

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-recmedia/cat-recmediaxdcamex/resource.downloads .bbsccms-assets-mkt-recmedia-downloads-upgrades.shtml

Note that I have not used these specific cards.

Ciao.

Mar 18, 2012 11:15 PM in response to SurreySteve

Yes, it works fine. Apple has not dropped the Express34 slot in the 17-inch MacBook Pro, only the 15-inch and 13-inch (if that ever had it).

There are rumors of a new MacBook Pro coming out on the 2nd quarter of this year which will not have the optical drive, so most likely they will drop the Express34.

The link that Ogelthorpe provided is where you will get two pieces of software from Sony: XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer, so you can use the footage from your EX-3.

I normally follow these steps to get my footage to Final Cut Pro:

- transfer footage from the SxS cards to a hard drive using the XDCAM EX Clip Brower. The interface is simple and version 1.01.07 to works with Lion. So the BPAV folder with XDCAM footage is now stored on a separate drive, and you can then delete the footage from the SxS card so it can be used as blank media.

- once my footage is on a hard drive, I then use XDCAM Transfer (which can be called out as a plug-in directly from Final Cut Pro under Import, after you've installed it) to convert this footage from the XDCAM format into a .mov format so it can be edited inside Final Cut Pro.

I hope this helps.

Mar 19, 2012 3:04 AM in response to SurreySteve

I had read somewhere that Apple had dropped the slot on the the latest 17" Macbooks but I have, since this one arrived, learnt different. Also managed to get the cards to work and 'ingesting' into FCP7.
There are a number of things I do not like about the Macbook. Most importantly I did not want to be wedded to OSXLion but it appears I have not choice!

Hey ho.

Thanks for your reply

Expresscard/34-Sony SXS cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.