Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activating the multi-task bar crashes the iPad

Taping twice on the home button (or using the multi-task gesture) crashes the iPad. The screen goes black with a white spinning wheel and a couple of seconds later the iPad resets.

That happens every single time I try to use de multi-task bar.

I'm clueless.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 3:59 PM

15 replies

Mar 11, 2012 4:07 PM in response to Ilustre BOB

Have you tried turning off multitasking gestures just to see if the setting is causing the crash? Settings>General>Multitasking Gestures>Off.

Have you tried Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings? Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button. You will have to enable your settings again but see if it helps.

Finally - have you tried a reset? Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Mar 11, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Ilustre BOB

I understand that you don't want to reset all of your settings. Just a thought.

Then I assume that you are using iTunes for your backups so have you considered restoring from a backup - a backup prior to this issue. That should restore your iPad's settings back to the way they were when the iPad was functioning properly.

Mar 13, 2012 11:16 AM in response to Ilustre BOB

I don't see that behavior on my iPad 2 (iOS 5.1). I am thinking it must be one of the following:

1. Not enough memory (check Settings --> General --> Usage).

2. A third-party app is causing a problem. Note that app icons appear in the multitasking bar.

3. Faulty download of your last iOS upgrade.

4. Hardware problem - some of the flash memory is bad or flaky.

Mar 14, 2012 11:08 PM in response to RickHanson-Sacto

Okay, I think I got some progress on the issue. It seems that it can be triggered by apps that use the media controls in the multitask bar. Sometimes (randomly, it seems), while listening to a music or watching a video in any media app, I can reproduce the issue by trying to access the multitask bar (via gesture or via double tap on home button).

I know this because if I change the app I'm using to play the media (Spotify or Rdio, for example), the bar starts to work again.

Activating the multi-task bar crashes the iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.