Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is cutting songs short

My iTunes used to work fine, but today it started doing this. Whenever I'll play a song (this affects probably 1/5 songs), it'll start normally. Then, when there are about 30 seconds left, it'll skip to the next song without playing the last 30 seconds. It's really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 10:41 PM

13 replies

Mar 20, 2012 2:44 AM in response to PandaMann

I've had the same problem, and you should be able to fix it without having to go through the additional expense of iTunes in the Cloud. Right/command-click the song and select "Show in Finder" so that you know where on your hard disk it's kept. Back in iTunes, right/command-click it again and select "Delete", it will ask you if you're sure you want to remove it from your library say yes, when it asks if you want to keep the file or move it to the trash, select keep file. Then go to iTunes > File > Library > Add to Library and locate the song on your hard disk. It should now play all the way through.

May 3, 2012 10:19 PM in response to PandaMann

I was having this problem as well. I fixed it by forcing iTunes to rebuild its database.

• Quit iTunes.
  • Go to your iTunes folder.
  • Move iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml to the Trash.
  • Start iTunes.
  • Select File->Add to Library...
  • Navigate to your iTunes Media folder and select that.
  • iTunes will rebuild your library.

The songs that iTunes was cutting short should play normally.

Aug 2, 2012 4:04 AM in response to Gnawme

The method described here deletes your ratings. I see at least 5% of my song library has this problem (it's probably much more, but I only notice this when it cuts off a 4 or 5 star rated song).

From other posts I've read, it appears that the problem occurs as you copy/move your purchased music from one CD to another. As years go by, every user has to upgrade PCs... I know I've got lots of music purchased five or more years ago that have migrated from one PC to another to another.

This is just an unacceptable behavior. Only Apple could make MS Windows Media Player look good.

Aug 10, 2012 4:56 PM in response to aussieguyinnyc

Tried this but songs seem to be corrupt at file location. Convereted to mp3 and Windoze Media Player stops audio at the same spot that iTunes goes to the next song. Affects only some songs on one album so far... seems that songs did not download properly.... song length counter is correct but actual length is not. I suppose that i'll try to download one song and see if it delivers correctly or if it is a store problem...

Apr 20, 2014 3:01 PM in response to PandaMann

Same problem here on iTunes 11.1, Mavericks.😢
I've noticed the affected songs, those are playing incompletely on iTunes are actually playing very well on my iPad mini (?!) 😐 😐

This 'phenomena' was present only with downloaded MP3 files... 😐

I just found this: http://triq.net/mp3sar/mp3-scan-repair-mac-os-x-release-1-0

So I've fixed the 'affected' MP3 files with this simple app: First I've deleted the affected the MP3 files on iTunes, and trash 'em, the fixed the original MP3 files with the app before to be imported back again on my iTunes library and it works very well!! 😁 It's better to fix one MP3 at a time, and add it to iTunes one at a time as well, this app not gonna fix lots of MP3 at once.

iTunes is cutting songs short

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.