Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone software update server could not be contacted when updating to ios 5.1 iphone 4

iphone software update server could not be contacted when updating to ios 5.1 iphone 4?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:38 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2012 7:31 AM in response to gwenalvarez

I've found a fix that has allowed me to download the update.

The following is taken from this website:http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/03/09/ios-5-1-updating-causing-problems/

"Had the same problem as most trying to update for two days and Apple tech was no help.

Here is what I had done to install the new update: (Make sure you have the latest updates installed on your computer)On your computer go into system preferences and change your DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 (remember your original setting).Now with your iPhone plugged into your computer update through iTunes as usual. Within 30 minutes the new update will be installed onto your iPhone. Remember to reset your DNS setting. Hopefully this helps as it sure has for me."

My iPhone is currently updating. 🙂

iphone software update server could not be contacted when updating to ios 5.1 iphone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.