Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I remap the fn key on a Powerbook?

Extraordinarily, Apple designed the keyboard layout for laptops so that the function key (fn) is on the opposite side of the keyboard to the cursor keys. So if you want to use Home, End, PageUp, or PageDown, as most of us do, then you have to use two hands as the fn key - far left - is too far from the cursor keys - far right.

Is there a way to remap the keyboard to swap the Enter and fn keys around? I rarely use Enter, but use fn a lot as described above.

While on this subject, can I remap to get a forward delete, which I used more than backspace on a full size keyboard?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4, 1.67GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 3:48 AM

I've posted this question AFTER finding out the answer, but I'd love for other users with the same problem to know that there is a solution.

This donateware will allow some keyboard remapping - http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/- although I couldn't swap the Enter and fn keys, I could convert the Enter key to work as the fn key but only when used with the cursor keys (which is actually a better solution anyway).

It also allowed me to convert the backslash key to work as a forward delete.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2012 3:48 AM in response to christopher rigby1

I've posted this question AFTER finding out the answer, but I'd love for other users with the same problem to know that there is a solution.

This donateware will allow some keyboard remapping - http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/- although I couldn't swap the Enter and fn keys, I could convert the Enter key to work as the fn key but only when used with the cursor keys (which is actually a better solution anyway).

It also allowed me to convert the backslash key to work as a forward delete.

Can I remap the fn key on a Powerbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.