Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make Automator wait until files have stopped being added?

Hi, I have created a simple Automator action which says 'when files are added to folder Dropbox>Camera Uploads, import them to iPhoto'.

The problem is that as the files are added to Dropbox one at a time (by the Dropbox servers, after they are taken on my Android phone and the Dropbox app auto-uploads them), this means there is a gap of 30-60 secs between photos, and more for a video. The end result therefore is iPhoto has each photo imported as a separate 'Event', rather than all the photos imported as one event.

What I'd like to say is 'wait for 5 minutes after the most recent photo/video was added, before importing all the photos/videos just added in that batch'. That way instead of iPhoto receiving each file one at a time and importing them separately, Automater will wait until the folder falls silent, indicating the import from the phone has finished, and only then will it import all the photos taken as one event.

Is this possible?

Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 450GB HD

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 7:47 AM

9 replies

Mar 19, 2013 4:46 PM in response to AppleIIme

AppleIIme wrote:

Hi, I have created a simple Automator action which says 'when files are added to folder Dropbox>Camera Uploads, import them to iPhoto'.

The problem is that as the files are added to Dropbox one at a time (by the Dropbox servers, after they are taken on my Android phone and the Dropbox app auto-uploads them), this means there is a gap of 30-60 secs between photos, and more for a video. The end result therefore is iPhoto has each photo imported as a separate 'Event', rather than all the photos imported as one event.

What I'd like to say is 'wait for 5 minutes after the most recent photo/video was added, before importing all the photos/videos just added in that batch'. That way instead of iPhoto receiving each file one at a time and importing them separately, Automater will wait until the folder falls silent, indicating the import from the phone has finished, and only then will it import all the photos taken as one event.

Is this possible?

Yes this is possible.

Here is the exact 3rd party action you need to get:

User uploaded file

Can I make Automator wait until files have stopped being added?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.