Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4S Date & Time set to Cupertino

I am in AZ and have the time zone set to Phoenix. When Set Automatically is enabled, the location changes to Cupertino, changing some (but not all) of my appointments. As I read the iPhone guide, shouldn't the location remain Phoenix when I enable Set Automatically?

This happens on two 4S phones so it is apparently by intent (or by bug).

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 8:01 AM

9 replies

Mar 12, 2012 10:49 AM in response to JohnZonie

I had this issue too on my iPhone, except I'm in Canada and it changed my time zone to 2 provinces west. I was fine yesterday, then toward the evening noticed I was an hour out with it automatically set to another city. This was before I did the OS upgrade. After doing the upgrade, still had the same issue and tried everything on these message boards. Only thing that worked for me was this from the apple site:

Select a different city (other than your closest city) in Settings > General > Date & Time > Time Zone. Turn off iPhone, then turn iPhone back on.

I chose a city in a time zone east of me, turned off my phone and back on, then changed the setting to automatic and it finally came up correctly. Tested with my email, etc. and times are now showing correctly. Seems like no single solution works for the general population so I guess you've got to try different things. Some got it to work correctly by turning Airplane mode on/off or a hard reset.

Good luck! Apple needs to fix this issue. Strange since I didn't have it during the last daylight savings time though.

Mar 12, 2012 10:52 AM in response to keg55

Don't know about you but the displayed time is correct however calendar entries made on the iPhone before Sunday are now all an hour off. It's not a carrier issue as other smart phones in the Phoenix area on AT&T are correct.

Rumor has it it is a problem with Apples implementation of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NITZ

Also it wouldn't hurt to provide feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 1, 2012 7:49 PM in response to JohnZonie

For AZ iPhone users, I think John hit it on the nose. There appears to be a bug in iOS that sets the date/time to either Denver or Cupertino depending on if DST is in effect. This messes up any calendar entries that are made before or after the DST start or end dates. I clearly saw this when some of my calendar entries shifted. Those entries were made before DST. When I turned on time zone support, that entry showed Denver. But, my current time zone was set to Cupertino.

4S Date & Time set to Cupertino

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.