Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to rotate iMovies?

How can I rotate movies taken with iPhone? What I do I download the movies to iMovie but they are horizontal and I need to rotate them 90 degrees to make them vertical. Looks like a very simple task, but I cannot find a way to do it.

Frank

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 1:19 PM

iMovie creates HD video, which is horizontal.

You can rotate your video using a turning swipe with two fingers.

User uploaded file

Rotate a video clip

Hide

Rotate a clip

1. With your project open, scroll the timeline until the clip you want to rotate is showing in the viewer.
  2. In the viewer, move your finger and thumb in a clockwise or counterclockwise twisting motion over the video image.When the white arrow appears, the video clip has been rotated 90 degrees. It may take a moment for the clip to appear rotated in the viewer.Repeat this motion as many times as necessary to achieve the orientation you want.User uploaded file

But it will add black bars on the sides of the video.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/iphone/1.3/index.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2012 1:19 PM in response to Frank Secco

iMovie creates HD video, which is horizontal.

You can rotate your video using a turning swipe with two fingers.

User uploaded file

Rotate a video clip

Hide

Rotate a clip

1. With your project open, scroll the timeline until the clip you want to rotate is showing in the viewer.
  2. In the viewer, move your finger and thumb in a clockwise or counterclockwise twisting motion over the video image.When the white arrow appears, the video clip has been rotated 90 degrees. It may take a moment for the clip to appear rotated in the viewer.Repeat this motion as many times as necessary to achieve the orientation you want.User uploaded file

But it will add black bars on the sides of the video.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/iphone/1.3/index.html

Apr 22, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Kiwiphone4

You said:

Rotate a clip

2. In the viewer, move your finger and thumb in a clockwise or counterclockwise twisting motion over the video image.When the white arrow appears, the video clip has been rotated 90 degrees. It may take a moment for the clip to appear rotated in the viewer.Repeat this motion

...I tried this, it did rotate, but no white arrow appears, and it won't stick, it flips back to sideways again. I took the video on iPhone6 in landscape view, maybe that is why it won't stick?

How to rotate iMovies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.