Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove App Store account that isn't mine?

I open App Store application and it shows that I have 1 update available for an app I never purchased. I try clicking the update button and get the message "You have updates available for other accounts: Sign in to bmar29@comcast.net to update applications for that account." -- I have no clue what this account is or where it came from but it's not mine. MY updates seem to be working OK but I can't get rid of this 1 update available message.

Anyone? THANKS!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:51 AM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Chris M. Long

Here is the truth. You have pirated an app. Instead of buying the app from the Mac App Store you have downloaded it for free from somewhere and that app has been cracked by the pirates with the Mac App Store receipt from the app asking to be updated. They acquired the app with the Mac App Store account of the guy whose Apple ID is showing up on your Mac.

To solve the problem get rid of your pirated apps. 👿

Jul 27, 2012 12:45 PM in response to Chris M. Long

All app downloaded from Mac AppStore(MAS) contain a receipt inside their app bundle (example: appname.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt). MAS will scan this file to check whether the new version is available.

Sometimes the pirated app receipt doesn't necessarily use the same name as the app.

For example: The app name could be 'Angry Birds' but inside the receipt it's 'Cut the Rope'. Hence MAS will search an update for 'Cut the Rope'

You can use this application (Find Any File) to search any receipt on your drive: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

1. Launch 'Find Any File' and search for: _MASReceipt
  2. Go throught each result that you think could be the culprit, copy the receipt to your desktop as a backup, and after that delete the receipt inside _MASReceipt folder.
  3. Open MAS and let it scan for software update. If it's still showing the update for the problem apps, it means that you've deleted the wrong receipt. Copy back the receipt backup from your desktop to it's previous location.
  4. Repeat the process until you find the pirated receipt

Most of the answers can be found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3622324

How do I remove App Store account that isn't mine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.