Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update software on ATV2

I am unable to update the software on any of my ATV2's. When you go into software update it says there is an update available when I choose to download and install it just comes with the status bar and the message caluculating download time then after a few minutes times out.

Same on all of them. The network appears to be working fine and I am typing this so am connected to the internet! Also movie downloads and the cloud seem to be OK.

I have made no network changes to LAN/WAN router etc in a couple of years.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:10 AM

The 1st option is try resetting the ATV( Settings>General>reset)

2nd)Change the DNS setting to 8.8.8.8( Settings>General>Network>Configure TCp/IP>Manually)

3rd)Restore the device using Itunes

Apple TV (2nd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

support.apple.com/kb/HT4367

11 replies

Mar 12, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the info Winston. At the moment I am getting faster download using the google servers as a primary and my ISP as a secondary. Clearly my ISP have an issue at the moment so I will stick with the google ones for the meantime. I have just added the addressed to my router DNS list rather than replacing the ISP ones for belt and braces approach!

Unable to update software on ATV2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.