Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with Apple RAID card support 4 TB drives?

Will the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with Apple RAID card support 4 TB drives? I would like to install 4 X 4 TB drives in RAID 5 config for a CrashPlan Pro backup. Running Mac OS 10.6.8 with 8GB RAM and 4 X 2 TB in a RAID 5 config right now. Thanks, Dave

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 12:03 PM

First they need to fix the issues with 3TB drives, and whether that will mean new card, firmware, combination of OS X 10.7x+

Any open slots for 3rd party? any reason you have to switch to another controller? maybe RAID6 in the process?

3 replies

Mar 12, 2012 12:12 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you for the quick response. Already problems with 3 TB drives? This doesn't sound good. I hadn't heard about that. I need added storage capacity. I have a second, identical backup Mac Pro. I was hoping it would be

a simple matter of adding the 4 X 4 TB drives. I do have one card slot available. I don't need RAID 6. RAID 5 has been working fine. Looks like I may have to go with external storage if there are problems with the larger drives.

Mar 12, 2012 12:23 PM in response to davesare

Take a look at the other RAID5 thread, then visit www.macgurus.com but any reason not to use RAID6? I can think of a few not to use RAID5, and esp. not with 4TB drive.

So Apple is behind the times, and ever since March 2007, 5 yrs ago when the Pro RAID card came out, the only change really has been a small price drop and there have been 3 models I think. But I wouldn't hold my breath for support for 16TB (4 x 4TB). Maybe FC?

Will the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with Apple RAID card support 4 TB drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.