Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Drive not showing up in startup disk

I've been using BootCamp since purchasing my MacPro 2.8Ghz (Early 2008) without any problems.

For some reason, I am now having a problem where my Windows 7 Startup Drive does not show up when selecting the Startup Disk Preference.

I am still able to boot into windows by holding down Option at startup.

Any idea how to get it to appear in the Startup Preference again?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Early 2008 Quad 2.8Ghz, 14 GB Ram

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 2:50 PM

it happens. by itself or if you insall and use NTFS driver.

Boot Camp control panel in Windows though will still work just fine to set the default OS.

you can of course boot from Windows DVD and check Windows for errors.

I just set the default in Windows to be Windows, or Mac OS.

Sometimes changing the default to something else and back again or zap PRAM and see if that changes.

Whatever you do don't try to "repair" Windows NTFS from Disk Utility, even if it shows up as 'available'

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Tony Barone

it happens. by itself or if you insall and use NTFS driver.

Boot Camp control panel in Windows though will still work just fine to set the default OS.

you can of course boot from Windows DVD and check Windows for errors.

I just set the default in Windows to be Windows, or Mac OS.

Sometimes changing the default to something else and back again or zap PRAM and see if that changes.

Whatever you do don't try to "repair" Windows NTFS from Disk Utility, even if it shows up as 'available'

Mar 13, 2012 5:58 AM in response to The hatter

yeah, I had a feeling it might be Tuxera causing it, wanted to see if there was another solution other than uninstalling it.

I tried disabling it in the pref pane and that didn't fix the issue, so I'm assuming it would need to be uninstalled.

As long as I am able to boot into Windows when needed (which isn't very often), I'm not too concerned. Its a little inconvenient to have to hold Option during startup to do it, but it works.

Whats annoying too is that when using BootCamp control panel in Windows to restart into OSX, it boots into the emergency partition for Lion instead of Lion. So, guess holding Option at startup is the only option both ways!

Thanks for the help.

Mar 13, 2012 7:26 AM in response to Tony Barone

It really makes our "work" a lot easier if people don't leave out tidbits.

And I have not found the need for Lion - there is one thing Lion provides for Windows users though, current drivers.

As for Lion Recovery, the best place to me is to have a normal boot drive and continue to use and have system maintenance and emergency or recovery on another drive, preferably one that is external and off line normally. And that way, no confusion with boot managers.

And just try Windows 8 and UEFI boot support and see the fun - it is UEFI that demands a GPT that we 'sort of' have, and two operating systems with proprietary and standard GPT and UEFI fighting it out with their own EFI and recovery or reserved and boot partitions.

Windows Drive not showing up in startup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.