Skip navigation

Slider missing from straighten tool

709 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 11:40 PM by léonie RSS
1 2 Previous Next
emeu1 Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 12, 2012 1:43 PM

Hello,

I'm completely new to Aperture, so maybe this is a really "stupid" question.

First some data:

MacBook Pro early 2011 model.

MAC OS X 10.7.3

Aperture 3.2.2

I've imported some photo's.

One photo I need to straighten.

I've selected this particular photo and from the Adjustments "tab", Adjustments button, I added the "Straighten" tool.

It showed up and displays:

Angle: 0.0

According to the Help information there should also be shown a slider which can be used to change the angle/amount of adjustment.

However, there is no slider displayed.

I've quit and restarted Aperture, had my Mac check for outstanding Software Updates (none found, System is up to date), selected and deselected the picture etc. but still no slider displayed nor can I select the "0.0" behind "Angle" to directly enter a value (as I can do at, for instance, Exposure=>Exposure or White Balance=>Tint).

Any idea how to fix this or is this a bug in Aperture 3.2.2?

Kind regards,

emeu1

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,330 points)
    Mar 12, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to emeu1)

Any idea how to fix this or is this a bug in Aperture 3.2.2?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but sometimes the slider vanishes, after you hit the straighten tool icon in the Browser and then select the crop tool. The slider usually reappears, when you press the corresponding icon in the Adjustment tab. Perhaps it will work for you too.

straighten.png

straighten2.png

Regards

Léonie

MacOS 10.7.3, Aperture 3.2.2, MBP i7

Message was edited by: leonieDF added screen shots

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)
    Mar 12, 2012 3:14 PM (in response to emeu1)

Is there any chance that the Straighten Brick is collapsed?  Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the checkbox to collapse/expand the Brick.

It shouldn't open this way -- but I thought it worth confirming.

Mar 12, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

Look at my screenshot, Kirby, that brick is expanded. But my slider faithfully reappears, if I hit the straighten icon in the straighten brick.  Can you reproduce this buggy effect in Snow Leopard (I'd understand, if you refuse to try - it's risky).

Léonie

Mar 12, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to léonie)

OT: Léonie -- you used the word "patch" just the other day when discussing batch removing a blemish from a series of photos.  I let it go, because we then discussed using Repair and Clone (part of the Retouch Brick), and I assumed that you were using the Retouch Brick.  Your screenshot above shows the Spot and Patch Brick -- are you using it?  It has it's use, but Apple recommends the Repair Brick for any task it can handle.  The Retouch Brick superceded the Spot and Patch tool when Ap3 was released.  (At least, that's how I remember it.)  I use the Retouch Brick tools all the time.

Mar 12, 2012 3:22 PM (in response to léonie)

Yes, I know for you -- I thought perhaps the OP wasn't aware that Bricks could be collapsed.

I have seen my share of weirdness between the Crop and Straighten Brick tools, but I have never noticed the Straighten Brick slider not showing.

Mar 12, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

Ha!  I just made the slider go away.  Happens in Snow Leopard, as well.  Confirmed, fwiw.

OK ... back to lurking and learning  .

Mar 12, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

Your screenshot above shows the Spot and Patch Brick -- are you using it? 

OT: No, I don't use it, primarily I use the "Retouche" tool to clone, sometimes repair. The Spot and Patch ist still there, because once I wanted to explore it and never really got round to doing it.

Mar 12, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

Ha!  I just made the slider go away.

Please tell me, that you managed to get them back, otherwise I'll have a sleepless night ...

Mar 12, 2012 3:41 PM (in response to léonie)

OT: It's the only way to rotate cloned pixels.  If you have a repair on a curved contour, it can be useful.

Mar 12, 2012 3:44 PM (in response to léonie)

You sleep!  The evidence is to the contrary  .

Yes, I got it back.  I am done playing with it, at least for this day.

Mar 12, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)

OT:

It's the only way to rotate cloned pixels.

Cool, you made my day - I always wanted to know how that can be done - tausend Dank!

Mar 12, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to léonie)

Always glad to help.  You especially will enjoy the task of matching radii of curvature    (to say nothing about the near-hieroglyphic controls).

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.