Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone 3GS charge?

I bought my friends iPhone 3GS 16 gb and since I got it I have had to turn off the phone and then plug it in to start charging it otherwise it wouldn't charge. I thought it was a battery problem so I bought a battery and replaced it. This did nothing, I still had to power off the phone to get it to start charging so I ordered a new charging port with the speaker mic and antenna in one unit. I didn't change it out and just kept turning off the phone to start charging it. Just recently I did this and when I woke up the phone was at 9% so I tried another cord then another power source nothing worked. The phone will show the dead battery and can tell when it's pluged in but won't charge. I could go onto iTunes and do the restore but it still won't charge. I replaced the dock port on the phone and it made no difference. I also tried holding the reset and power button for 10 sec. Please help I am running out of things to try. Thanks for any suggestions.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 3:32 PM

5 replies

Mar 15, 2012 2:23 PM in response to curt76

I have tried all obvious problems. Diffrent outlets, a cumputer when I connected to iTunes and did a restore, everything. I was wondering if maybe the motherboard was fried or if I could get a replacment part for it. I am comfortable taking my phone apart to replace parts, I just need to know what part might need replacing. Thanks again for any help.

Apr 25, 2012 2:36 AM in response to Hurnackattack

I have a similar problem.

1) I notice that you might not have tried this, but it usually works for me:

Sometimes you get fluff in the contacts. Get a clean, dry tooth brush and clean out the connection hole in the iphone and the iphone cable.

2) I found this solution on youtube and it seems to be working: (fingers crossed)

Quote: "

Top Comments

Ok i learned this from my friend press the mute button 4 times up and down then press the lock and home button for 7-10 seconds then an apple pops up then connected to your computer and it will charge.

Jabbafan111 5 months ago 19 User uploaded file

" Unquote:

NB: comment came from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z_f6peBo88

Update: Yes solution 2 is working, it's up to 25% now.

Why won't my iPhone 3GS charge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.