Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing 10.6.8?

Is there an easy way for a novice to remove 10.6.8 and get back 10.6.7?

It's just making the fans work over time now, and it was pretty silent with 10.6.7. It's getting on my nerves.

Be very grateful for a quick fix if you can help

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 4:37 PM

18 replies

Mar 12, 2012 4:59 PM in response to the tall

the tall wrote:

Is there an easy way for a novice to remove 10.6.8 and get back 10.6.7?

It's just making the fans work over time now, and it was pretty silent with 10.6.7. It's getting on my nerves.

Be very grateful for a quick fix if you can help

Thanks

Simply return to you Time Machine Backup just before you updated to 10.6.8

Good Luck

Pete

Mar 12, 2012 5:30 PM in response to the tall

Thank you for your answers, I installed several updates and don't know what is making the problem. SMC updates, Thunderbolt or the 10.6.8?

Will Time Machine remove all those updates? How would that work, I thought it just did files, not the system's updates?

What is a combo updater?

It may not be 10.6.8, it may be one of the other updates, but I don't know which one.

What do you suggest? How does TM take it back to my last saved TM and remove the updates?

Mar 12, 2012 5:29 PM in response to the tall

Updates that contain SMC or firmware in their name write new instructions to one of the computer's components instead of the hard or flash disk and can't be uninstalled unless otherwise noted. Updates written to the hard disk are simply files in special locations. The combo updater updates Mac OS X directly to a specific version without needing any intermediate updates, not including paid upgrades.

(64782)

Mar 12, 2012 5:53 PM in response to the tall

If you have a Time Machine backup or bootable clone made before you ran the Mac OS X 10.6.8 updater, restore from it. Otherwise, back up the drive, erase it, and restore your files from the backup; if you make a Time Machine backup, you can migrate from it without reinstalling the Mac OS X 10.6.8 updater.

The timing of the backup in relation to the other updates doesn't matter as they aren't part of the backup and can't be removed by restoring from it.

(64785)

Mar 12, 2012 6:03 PM in response to the tall

Restart from the computer's original disk, use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive, and then restore the system from the Time Machine backup; both options are in the Utilities menu.

This will restore the drive to the state it was in when you made the backup, which includes uninstalling the Mac OS X 10.6.8 update. It won't uninstall the SMC update as that isn't written to the drive.

(64786)

removing 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.