Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library on MacMini with Lion Server?

Okay everyone -- I know this question has been asked somewhere -- I just haven't seen it answered exactly the way I need.

My wife has a beautiful new MacAir with iPhoto 11 and Lion -- and HATES it because she can't keep all of her photos of the kids on it (too much space). That's downright tragic...hating a MacAir! She will not carry around an external drive...and I don't blame her. The good news? Most of her interaction with iPhoto is at home...leading me to...

I'd like to setup a mini with an external drive attached to it to store her main photo library. I'm also thinking Lion server is likely the way to go (correct me if I'm wrong).

Could someone please just lay out the best solution here...with some detailed instructions? It would keep my wife happy with her Mac...and really...we all win.

To recap. Mac Air, would love to keep the iPhoto library on a local home server...preferably a mini with an external drive attached. I understand she can only access the photos at home.

Thanks to all!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 5:38 PM

30 replies

Mar 12, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Jackrabbit416

It doesn't have to be the server version. Put the Library on the Mini - or an attached disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - then Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point it at the new location.

Viewing the Library: this should be fine.

However... A strong warning: If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

Regards

TD

Mar 13, 2012 8:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence. I did find this reply on another board. Obviously "I would not do this" is a tough answer to swallow. If you don't mind, I just wanted to get a little more info.

There will only be one user...very local (within 30 feet of an Airport Extreme). The mini will be hard wired via cat 6 into the airport. (Actually Mini>switcher>Airport). Obviously the MacAir will be over the airwaves.

Does that help the situation at all? Would using server software help with the reliability of the transmission?

Simply put -- I'm afraid Apple has put us in a very difficult situation here. Their hardware won't support what is a fairly normal amount of family photos/videos...and the software won't support a wireless solution.

Any other ideas folks?

Mar 13, 2012 9:33 AM in response to Jackrabbit416

No it doesn't help the situation. A chain is as strong as its weakest link.

And I'm sorry but with respect, the fact that you bought a machine that does not have the capacity for the work you want to do hardly seems like Apple's fault to me. Is it Porche's fault if I buy a two seater to carry my wife, six kids, three dogs and two cats? 😉

And I don't believe that Apple claim anywhere that their software will support a woreless solution.

Regards

TD

Mar 13, 2012 9:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

I get what you're saying with the Porche analogy. But I do think ALL of these computers are meant to utilize iPhoto (in fact, they come loaded with it). When iPhoto first came out...there really wasn't a storage issue in sight. Now...after almost a decade of photos...increasing in size...and even videos...any portable mac product is going to see this issue (I don't believe I'm the only one on this forum). So I'm not completely buying your analogy here. We certainly didn't buy the Suburban ;-) I get that. In fact, we have a Suburban with a huge drive (MacBook Pro) and our libraries won't fit in there either. I think there needs to be a solution in the works with loyal Mac customers who's iPhoto libraries are getting big for ANY of their devices, including iPads.

Even an archiving option would be nice (like Aperature has).

Thanks for the info, and if anyone else has a potential solution for iPhoto storage issues, we'd love to hear it!

Jun 5, 2012 7:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

This does seem like an important usability issue. It is not just a problem with the Air. It is fairly common for MacBook users to run out of space on their hard drives because of the amount of media stored for two of Apple's signature products, iPhoto and iTunes.

Apple seems to be aware of this problem and have rolled out iMatch for iTunes to help address it. For $25/yr it will let you keep all of your music in the cloud, freeing up your HDD space.

There is not yet a solution to the iPhoto issue. To many users, these are the most precious files on their computer. They want them accessible, and viewing/organizing them in a pretty and seemless way is one of the main reasons they bought a Mac to begin with. It looks like Apple is aware of this and working on it. Their Photo Stream iCloud product is a first step, but doesn't solve this issue yet.

I too am looking for a solution to keep a joint iPhoto library that is wirelessly accessible from all of my devices and which can be shared with my wife as one unified library across our seperate computers.

Jun 5, 2012 10:22 AM in response to sangretoro

I think we have to keep in mind what Terence originally wrote. The iPhoto library can be shared on a home mac server, but you only run into trouble if you are going to be interacting with it...updating photos and such. We've decided to dedicate our main home computer (iMac) to be the "holder of all that is fine and cherished"...(with both local hard drive and cloud back up, of course!).

All our devices can access this one computer through sharing...but if work is to be done on the databases (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.) it is done directly on the iMac.

When Apple announces the new MacBook Pro and I get it, this iMac is going to be relegated to being just the server and work station for all these things...at least that is my plan. Most of the time I only want to "consume" my pictures and music...when I want to do more...I'll just hop on the iMac.

Cheers.

Mark

Jan 27, 2013 12:26 PM in response to Jackrabbit416

I agree with Terence on this. However, if you have an external HD connected to the Mini and have Time Machine setup to backup your library you might give it a go. If there's any problem restore the library from just before the problem occured and continue.

I'd also occasionally restore a library (using the Keep Both) option and check out the restored library to make sure it works correctly.

if you continually run into dropouts you'll have to abandon that configuration and go to a hard wired one. We just want you to be aware of the pitfalls using a wireless configuration with an iPhoto library.

OT

Jan 27, 2013 12:29 PM in response to Old Toad

It seems ridiculous to me that with how long Iphoto has been around we don't have a strong wireless solution for it. The photo stream is a small step in the right direction but again its a small step.

All I want is a central location that I can keep the Iphoto library where both me and my wife can access it with our laptops and add to the album and look at the album at will. How is there not a well designed workaround for this yet?

Jan 27, 2013 3:10 PM in response to TheBruceleeroy

It may seem ridiculous to you, but then you seem unaware of the difference between a photo manager and a serving application - and there are considerable differences. For instance: Price. iPhoto is a $15 app. Server apps start around the $200 mark. Other people who have failed to produce a well-designed workaround: Adobe, Microsoft, Google etc. Does that not suggest to you that there's a little more to this than you might think?

iPhoto Library on MacMini with Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.