Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up files on my PowerBook G4

Should I get an external hard drive or large capacity flash drive to back up data from my aged Powerbook G4 before it dies?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:00 AM

If strictly for file backup, either would work. However, it's best to get an external Firewire connected hard drive to use as a backup of your entire PB HD. Then, if you have problems on your PB, you can boot using the external HD. Older Macs can't boot from USB connected drives.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

7 replies

Mar 13, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Denise7472

Denise,

You wrote:

Thanks!! I will be venturing out to BestBuy AGAIN!!

Please read this thread:

IMAC 21.5 purchased at Best Buy

before venturing out. It is but one of a number o threads around here reporting trouble with getting Apple warranty coverage with Macs bought through Best Buy. That leaves you only Geek Squad support--that's the junior varsity. There are too many unresolved gray issues for me to lay down money for a Mac from them. I like their store and buy other stuff there, but I get my Macs directly from Apple.

Mar 13, 2012 1:19 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks!! I was actually venturing out to buy either a new external hd or a flash drive. However, this information is very helpful as I was contemplating BestBuy for my next Mac because I thought the warranty with BB was supposed to be a good deal. You are right Mac's cost too much to have gray issues when it comes to warranty. Thanks again!! 🙂

Backing up files on my PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.