Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a imac 21inch intel i5 machine and also a macpookpro also running the intel processor i have connected these using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter to a projector, however my macbookpro detects the projector straight away but my imac will not?

i have a intel based imac 21 inch running the latest version of lion, i also have a intel based macbook pro also running lion, i have used a minidisplay port to hdmi adapter and then a hdmi cable to connect my mac to a projector. the problem i have is my macbook automatically picks up the projector and i can use this. but my imac will not do the same? it is really frustrating as i want to use my imac with the projector not my macbook pro

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:03 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2012 10:53 PM in response to tiky1509

IMO the fact that the macbook "automatically" picked up the projector is just "luck" and somehow the Displays preferences "just worked". On the imac go into the Displays system preferences. Is there an arrangement tab? If not then something is physically wrong with the connection and I wouldn't know what (adapter doesn't work for some reason, you didn't push the mini displayport all the way in, whatever).

If you do have an Arrangement tab then click detect displays and gather windows to get the Displays preferences for the projector on to your main screen. Then you should be able to set the proper resolution and refresh rate (if any is shown).

I have a imac 21inch intel i5 machine and also a macpookpro also running the intel processor i have connected these using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter to a projector, however my macbookpro detects the projector straight away but my imac will not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.