Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When i do a PRAM reset they prompt me for password. May I know what password they are asking for?

when i do a PRAM reset, they will prompt me for a password or serial, may i know what password or serial is that?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:31 PM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2012 5:32 AM in response to CheongMayInn

Since you did not specify what the window looks like when you get the password request, I will make the following assumptions.

1. You are in a total shut down.

2.When you power up you are holding the "Apple" andOption and P and R keys and you continue to hold them till the password request window appears. You do NOT hear the tone which normally you would hear for at least two times to actually reset the PRAM.

3. The password request window appears on a plain gray colored desktop. (it is what Apple calls "Linen") with a entry block and a symbol.

If all those assumptions are correct, your system has a Firmword password installed. You would get the same password request when trying to boot from a CD/DVD, Flash Drive or External Hard drive or network drive.

Are those the conditions you are experiencing? If they are, post back and you can learn what the next steps are to work through the problem.

When i do a PRAM reset they prompt me for password. May I know what password they are asking for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.