Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual 2560x1600 Dell Displays on Mac Mini

Hello,

I am considering getting the latest Mac mini, but I am not sure if it can accomodate my two Dell U3011 Displays?

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productd etail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=224-9949&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnra nk=4&baynote_irrank=0

They support just about every kind of input you can imagine, but they do not support thunderbolt daisy chain like the Apple displays do. However, I am unwilling to switch to the Apple displays because of the excessive glare and the inability to adjust the height etc. (no, I will not stack books lol)

I would get the Mac Pro, but it's vastly out dated and over priced at this point (it does not even have thunderbolt).

Does anyone know if it's possible to run dual 2560x1600 non-thunderbolt displays on the Mac mini?

Mac mini (Mid 2011)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 1:15 AM

smkied wrote:

Does anyone know if it's possible to run dual 2560x1600 non-thunderbolt displays on the Mac mini?

While you can run dual non-thunderbolt monitors, it doesn't look like you can't run dual 2560x1600. For dual monitors you basically use the Thunderbolt (also Displayport) port and the HDMI port, using adapters if needed. The Mini includes an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box. And there are others HDMI to VGA, Displayport (which fits in the Thunderbolt port) to DVI, etc.

But look at the specs: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Look at the max resolution for the ports under video support:

• Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
  • HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (included)
  • Support for dual display and video mirroring

Going solely by the specs -- I'm not familiar with the Dell -- you'd want to hook up one Dell U3011 to the Thunderbolt port -- I say do it with a DisplayPort cable which will fit right into the Thunderbolt port. For the second monitor you'll have to reduce your expectations and resolution; or find some other way.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2012 1:15 AM in response to smkied

smkied wrote:

While you can run dual non-thunderbolt monitors, it doesn't look like you can't run dual 2560x1600. For dual monitors you basically use the Thunderbolt (also Displayport) port and the HDMI port, using adapters if needed. The Mini includes an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box. And there are others HDMI to VGA, Displayport (which fits in the Thunderbolt port) to DVI, etc.

But look at the specs: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Look at the max resolution for the ports under video support:

• Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
  • HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (included)
  • Support for dual display and video mirroring

Going solely by the specs -- I'm not familiar with the Dell -- you'd want to hook up one Dell U3011 to the Thunderbolt port -- I say do it with a DisplayPort cable which will fit right into the Thunderbolt port. For the second monitor you'll have to reduce your expectations and resolution; or find some other way.

May 5, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Ritahayward

Hi there, no it was not possible to run two of the monitors together at native resolution -- I had to get rid of one and get a smaller one instead. Quite frustrating I must add, especially given how cheap it is to get a video card for a PC with multiple high resolution ports AND the fact that you can have multiple Apple Displays only. To me that feels like a real serious monopoly and Apple forcing people to buy only Apple displays. I love Apple products, but their Display product is a complete miss for me (very glossy, no height adjust) so its absurd that I would be forced to use them. Anyway, it is what it is, but I did not get to use both of my Dell screens (which are amazing).

Cheers.

Dual 2560x1600 Dell Displays on Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.