Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 onscreen keyboard not closing when leaving "search iphone" screen

Does anyone else have a problem where the onscreen keyboard doesn't hide / close / disappear when you leave the "Search iPhone" screen? It happened a couple of times in at least one other app (App Store) but happens every time with the search screen and only since I upgraded to IOS 5.1. The only way to clear the issue is turn the phone on and off, which is just a bit too Windows ;-)

The phone ia about 18 months old, has never been jailbroken and has always had upgrades applied as they come out.

If anyone has a solution (or the same problem) I would be glad to hear it.

Regards,

Mike

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 4:01 AM

13 replies

Mar 13, 2012 4:29 AM in response to OnlyOneMike

Try this. Go to the home screen on your phone. Swipe to the right to bring up spotlight search. Hold the power button down as you would to power off. When the red slider appears, release the power button, but now hold down the home button until the red slider disappears. Try searching now, but make sure you tap the "search" key on the keyboard to signify a search request, and they keyboard should drop down.

Mar 13, 2012 5:37 AM in response to Andrew J

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. The keyboard remained on screen until the contact that I found and tapped opened, although the search screen, complete with keyboard, shrank down to be replaced by the contact record.

Tapping the home button returned me to the home page with keyboard visible, but only once. Subsequent attempts to repro the issue returned me to the home page without the keyboard visible.

Going into the search page and focusing on the search box pops the keyboard up and it doesn't close when I swipe back to the home page or tap the home button to go back to the home page. I fairly frequently swipe into the search page by accident as I'm navigating the phone and have to swipe back out with half my home screen covered in keyboard - not slick.

Many thanks though.

Mar 13, 2012 12:09 PM in response to paulcb

It's not a reset, it does however forcequit the running process and does reset the app or process running at the time, so it does do something. Obviously there was a system issue, but thanks for being so kind with your baseball bat. I thought we all chime in to help, but I don't live here as much as you obviuosly do. I have a life.

Mar 13, 2012 11:04 PM in response to paulcb

My thought process was that the spotlight UI might be in a bind and force quitting is the best way to check or isolate the issue. It's more precise than a fix all, cross your fingers, hope for the best, hard reset., (if you were a developer you would know this). Any dolt could recommend a hard reset. Please, if you have an issue with my methods of attack, be a little more professional than, "it does nothing". It shows little curtousy to someone who's been working with Apple products for 25 years.

Mar 14, 2012 6:29 AM in response to Andrew J

I apologized but it's quite clear you chose not to accept that. You then continue to attack me... I'm really not a dolt, I don't live here and I do have a life (quite a nice one at that). While the force quit is very beneficial in many cases, I'm not convinced it does anything from Spotlight. I'll not attack you back but I will leave you on your little hill to defend. Have a nice day Andrew. 😉

Apr 5, 2012 4:41 PM in response to OnlyOneMike

I experience the same issue and unfortunately re-starting by holding Home Button + Sleep Button for 15 secs resolves the issue temporarely. I tried settings reset, system reset and sure app quite forcing. All in vain - it keep gettnig back to me, plus the Home Button may behave sparadically - sometimes iOS reacts like I've made double click but in reality it was just a single one and vise versa,

iPhone 4 onscreen keyboard not closing when leaving "search iphone" screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.