Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps rejecting my .mac password and won't retrieve my messages - why?

Mail has worked flawlessly for me for several years. But this week, it stopped loading (retrieving) my messages from my .mac/me/iCloud service.

For some reason, my .mac account in Mail is offline. When I try to take it back online, mail tells me that my password isn't being accepted. (But it works just fine if I go to my iCloud account and use it to log on and check my mail there. And it's no prob retrieving my mail on my iPhone, either.)

Can someone point me in the right direction for fixing this prob? (BTW: I have several other e-mail accounts set up in Mail, and they work just fine. Only my .mac/me/iCloud account stopped working.)

I've tried to change various settings in the preferences for the account, but it's been to no avail.

Some of the various error messages I've recieved after trying to fix the prob:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And here are info panels I see when I check the account in Mail's preferences:

User uploaded file

Note how port 993 is greyed out here; it's not greyed out for my other email accounts (and it's the same port w/ those, too):

User uploaded file

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 GB SDRAM, 250 GB HD

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 11:48 AM

Hi Steven,

I think they're slowly nudging people to switch, .mac & MobileMe are going away about June/ July, may as well set it up now.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

•Server name: imap.mail.me.com

•SSL Required: Yes

•Port: 993

Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

•Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

•Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

•Port: 587

•SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2012 11:48 AM in response to Steven Ford

Hi Steven,

I think they're slowly nudging people to switch, .mac & MobileMe are going away about June/ July, may as well set it up now.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

•Server name: imap.mail.me.com

•Port: 993

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

•Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

•Port: 587

•SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

Mail keeps rejecting my .mac password and won't retrieve my messages - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.