Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add stabilization in Final Cut Pro X in a multicam ?

Hi all

I'm working with a multicam clip and theres a single angle/clip in my mutlicam clip I'd like to stabilize a little as its a bit shakey.

I selected to analize for stabilization and roller shutter when I imported my footage.

I'm clicking the drop down box and selecting Analyze and Stabilize

User uploaded file

but its not giving me the options to adjust anything in the inspector (I am selected on video) for the multicam clip.

It does however give me these options if I click on a b-roll clip sitting above my multicam clip.

Any help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:33 AM

15 replies

Mar 16, 2012 1:52 PM in response to shippo_uk

Applying stabilization to a sigle clip in the Angle Editor works exactly like it does when you are working with a single clip (that's not part of a multicam clip) on the timeline.

In either case, to apply stabilization to part of a clip, you'll need to isolate that part of the clip by cutting it out with the blade tool, then selecting it and applying stabilization.

Jun 16, 2013 5:25 PM in response to apollo2011

Right, I've bladed out my 4 second multicam clip. Now I click on it and the video inspector doesn't show a "stabilization" checkbox like the manual says it shoudl. If I go pull a non-multicam clip and plop it in my timeline and select it you get the stabilization box. I hoped maybe you could double click on the clip and open it in the angle editor and get the checkbox to click there but it doesn't seem to work that way.

My only work-around at this point is to go find the source event for the 4 second clip, somehow reproduce the exact edit with the non-multicam clip, then click on that and apply stabilization to that.

Seems like a lot of work just because the checkbox doesn't show up in the video inspector for multicam clips.

Jun 16, 2013 11:31 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the quick reply! Yup, that works. However I still have to manually skim around to find the shot and set new in and out points on the footage. There doesn't seem to be a way to get the shot info (camera, in & out points) from the timeline to the angle editor. Even the playheads in the two views are indipendant. It would be so much more useful if the playhead in the angle editor was slaved to timeline playhead.

Jun 16, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

This is the video I'm fixing (footage from a flight sim): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Dj8Q_Y5NA

There are only a few shots I want to stabilize (glitch in the game animation). I understand I have to blade the segments in the angle editor and then select that little fragment for the effect. Just hoping there is a way to get the in and out points and angle from the timeline into the angle editor. I'm stuck manually searching for the right time and shot in the angle editor.

Jul 15, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Darfuria

As FCP X is currently designed, stabilizing multicam material can be very difficult if you have lots of camera angles. The only solution I know requires the below complex work-around.

1. On multi cam storyline, select clip to stabilize, then shift+f to locate the clip in the event browser, this will highlight it.

2. Cmd+1: go to event browser window, look at time code & remember it. To enable direct time code display in skimmer: View->Show Skimmer Info.

3. On multicam storyline, right click the clip, select “Open in angle editor"

4. Once in Angle Editor, press Control+P to type in the remembered time code. Don’t enter colons, just the numbers and press enter. This will jump to the base clip in the angle editor. If many sync’d tracks, you have to figure out which clip by observation but the playhead should be in the right location.

5. Blade that section of the clip, select it, then apply stabilization.

6. In upper left of angle editor timelines, press back arrow to return to multi cam storyline.

I encounter this situation frequently when syncing a lof of material using Plural Eyes and creating a large multi-cam project from that. You only know what clips require stabilizing after editing is nearly complete, so it's not practical to stabilize the base clips before this. Yet there's no way to stabilize the clips directly in the multicam storyline.

This procedure is not required for color correction or other effects in a multicam storyline.

Dec 21, 2015 7:46 AM in response to shippo_uk

Well, this is not easy the solution I was looking for!

This doesn't feel very FCPX to me. Feels like the Premiere way of doing things. I have many clips I need to stabilize in a 30 minute Multicam Clip timeline. This solution is going to take me a while.

Another thing that stinks is that snapping doesn't seem to work in the angle editor.

I have FCPX 10.2.2

This is my feature request for 10.3

How to add stabilization in Final Cut Pro X in a multicam ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.