Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the MacBook Pro support 5 GHz wireless?

Just got a new router that supports 5 GHz speeds on the wireless end. does anybody know if the MBP supports this? and if so how to turn it on?

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C

SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

love to hear.

MBP, MM, MBP - 10.6 + Windooz XP on a hard partition

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:31 AM

Yes

It will find it automatically

I switched my 5GHz off on and just kept the 2.4GHz on my router, as I found it slowed some pages down

I believe you can check the transmition rate by clicking the alt key while selecting airport icon on menu bar

11 replies

Mar 13, 2012 9:48 AM in response to pennbank

pennbank wrote:

I believe you can check the transmition rate by clicking the alt key while selecting airport icon on menu bar

Hey! That's a cute one, and new to me; lists SSID, channel, speed, security mode, the works. There's always one more Easter Egg to find in these Macs!! 😀

User uploaded file

Used to use the Network Utility found in the Utilities folder, but this is so much easier and gives more info, to boot!

Thanks.

Does the MacBook Pro support 5 GHz wireless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.