Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I globally disable app file sharing?

A locked iPad will still allow file sharing to occur through iTunes for apps that allow it. This is true even if the iTunes is not the same one that the iPad is sync'd with. This creates a huge security vulnerability as sensitive data may be retrieved by inidividuals who can not unlock the device.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:24 AM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2012 7:36 AM in response to liam1027

I don't know of any way to globally block an app from being able to transfer data to iTunes, if the app allows that features. All you can do, to the best of my knowledge, is to disallow installation of any such apps.

Note, though, that if you turn off the "Simple Passcode" option, it would be very difficult for anyone to access data other than through the computer to which the iPad is synched. Attempts to sync to another computer will force the erasure of the content on the iPad, and with the longer passcode, the various methods for accessing the data without unlocking the iPad won't work.

Regards.

Mar 13, 2012 11:37 AM in response to varjak paw

Thank you for the response.

It looks like the only way to prohibit this is to restrict file sharing on an app by app basis, if the app even allows you to do so. In order to ensure no new apps are installed that allowed file sharing, you'd also need to not let user install their own apps, crippling the usability of the device.

Again I have to reiterate that this is glaring security hole. The iPads that I've deployed use a strong passcode, whole disk encryption and utlize encrypted backups. If the iPad is stolen though, someone can simply plug it in and any iTunes will allow the files to be transfered from file sharing apps to that computer.

- These files are not encrypted

- The user does not need to know the passcode

- This works with any iTunes, not just the one the iPad is sync'd to

- There is no way to restrict file sharing on the iPad, through the IPCU or eeven a MDM server

How do I globally disable app file sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.