Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page Numbering, Arabic then Standard Numerical

Hi Everyone,
I am using the most recent version of pages on LION. I know that there are a few related forums but mine is very specific. I need to begin my thesis with the first few pages (abstract, acknowledgements, table of contents) as Arabic, then I need to have a table of contents after the first few pages which not only includes the Arabic numbering of the abstract and acknowledgements,but also has the rest of my thesis in there which begins with the introductions (the page after my table of contents) which should begin at page 1.

To simplify, the first few pages need to be in Arabic, the next set of pages (about 50) need to be standard (1,2,3,4...50..). Both the Arabic and standard numerical must both be listed in the table of contents which would technically be on pages 3 & 4 but should be visually listed as page iii & iv.

Thank you! Courtney

EX:

Abstract...i

Acknowledgements....ii

Table of Contents....iii & iv

Intro.....1

Lit Review....2

Etc.....3-50.

iMac, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:25 AM

19 replies

Mar 13, 2012 8:17 AM in response to courtneyfromrichboro

I think you mean you want Roman numbering first and then Arabic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals

The TOC can only show the content of what comes after it so the first parts table of content can't be on page 3-4 automatically. I haven't found a way to mixed the different page numbers as you described it. You start page numbering over from 1 again but the whole document will have the same numerals, Roman or Arabic.

Mar 13, 2012 8:27 AM in response to fruhulda

Thanks for the calrification! Thats fine that I cannot add the abstract to the TOC. Is it possible to just do the first few pages roman numberals manually? How do I start "page 1" on the actual page 5? I used pages to make a tabe of contents by using different headers from the styles drawar, however if need be I am prepared to do this all manually.

Mar 13, 2012 9:48 AM in response to courtneyfromrichboro

You can always add any text but it will not be part of the automatic TOC. If you are going to print the document it will probably not matter.

The page numbers in the first part can't be in the footer as it will affect all pages in the document.

I presume you will print the document? If so I would create 2 documents, one with the first part an Roman numerals and one with the second part with the Arabic numerals.

Now you can create TOC with the preferred page numbers.When you are certain that you will not change anything in the documents create the TOCs. In the Roman select the TOC so it has a blue border line and one copy the TOC and open it in TextEdit.

Copy the TOC from TextEdit (it is now plain text and has lost its connection to the the in the document) and past it before the TOC in the Arabic page number document. Now you can also copy and paste the text from the Roman.. document. The other TOC will adjust its page numbers

You will probably need a Section breakBefore or after the main TOC so you can have the first part without page numbers. Familiarise your self with the Inspector palette > Layout and download the Pages User Guide and read about page numbering, layout sections and TOCs. I find it hard do give precise instructions. The Pages User Guide is downloadable from your Pages Help menu.

Mar 13, 2012 10:44 AM in response to courtneyfromrichboro

Abstract...i

Acknowledgements....ii

[Section break]

Table of Contents....iii & iv

[Section break]

Intro.....1

Lit Review....2

Etc.....3-50.

In each section:

Inspector > Layout > Section > Page Numbers > Start at: > Configuration > uncheck Use previous headers & footers

Menu > Insert > Auto Page Numbers...

and/or right mouse click on the page number to change its formatting.

The Table of Contents will only number everything after it, so don't expect it to list the Abstract or Acknowledgements.

Peter

PS I find this worrying that this is your thesis.

Mar 13, 2012 7:11 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I meant to say Sections. I have been using section breaks, my mistake.

I have followed your instructions exactly. As of right now I have 1,2,3 for the first three pages and then 1,2,3,4...55. for the body of the thesis. Everytime I try to format the auto page numbering of the Abstract into ROMAN numerals(first three pages), it changes the entire documents into ROMAN numberals. I cannot keep them seperate.

Page Numbering, Arabic then Standard Numerical

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.