Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solid amber light on Airport Extreme.

Hi.

I hope someone can help me. I have a new Airport Extreme. When I plug the unit in, the light is green for a couple of seconds and then goes solid amber. Nothing I do can change this status. I have tried soft, hard and factory resets.

I have had exactly the same problem with two Time Capsules; the first of which was confirmed as being faulty by a Genius.

However, to get the same problem with three different units seems bizarre. Am I doing something wrong?

Regards.

Crozy

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 11:22 AM

5 replies

Mar 13, 2012 2:14 PM in response to Crozy

Hi Crozy,

Essentially when your Airport products hang with a solid amber light, they are stalled during the 'boot up' phase. It is a concern if multiple units are developing this behaviour.

If a factory reset doesn't shake out the issue, usually hardware or firmware is suspected. I would have suggested checking to see if plugging the unit directly into an outlet works, to see if it is not getting enough power. But the Genius would have troubleshot for that by plugging directly into an outlet.

I don't think you are doing something wrong, but multiple devices developing the same issue suggests something environmental - something in the relationship between the unit and other devices.

How have these devices been set up initially? With a Mac or a PC or iOS 5 device? Also, what version of Airport Utility is used? If doing a factory reset allows you to at least return it to a default state, make sure your Airport Utility is fully up to date, configure it with a direct ethernet connection to the computer rather than wirelessly, and ensure the latest firmware update is applied to it. If you are using a PC, turn off your antivirus software and firewall temporarily during configuration. This will help ensure no errors are introduced to the firmware on the device.

Next, also try resetting the modem or router it is connected to. If using a cable modem, press the reset button on the back of the device. For DSL modems it is a bit different, if you do a full reset you may need to contact your internet service provider for help with re-entering your internet account and password credentials with them in the modem itself. Also check with them or the modem manufacturer if there is a way to ensure the firmware on the modem is updated; the modem firmware may be causing errors in the Extreme when it starts up and reads connected devices.

Check your ethernet cables too. If you have an older cable connecting the Extreme to the modem, try a fresh one, and also make sure the cable you connect to the computer to configure the Extreme is also known-good.

Lastly, ensure no transmitting devices are set next to the Extreme - cordless phone base stations, etc. and nothing set on top of it. Radio-frequency waves in direct proximity could potentially set up RF induction, in which the radio signal passing through circuits can cause an electric current to occur. Objects on top of the unit could cause overheating.

I wish I could be more specific but those are the factors I think could be contributing to the issue... I hope at least one of them helps. A very unusual situation, for sure.

Mar 13, 2012 6:33 PM in response to Crozy

At this point, I would say you are not following the setup procedures properly....

From here on out I am guessing because you don't give us anymore information...

The Express is your one an only main base station?

You have it setup to "Create a wireless network" ?

So you have a Cable or DSL modem?

You really don't want to ignore problems...

That reminds me of the sign in the dentist offfice...

"Ignore your teeth and they will go away"..........

Give us a little more info and we might be able to help you......

Mar 15, 2012 7:05 AM in response to The Synthesist

Thanks Synthesist for your reply. I eventually got everything working by:

Disconnecting everything.

Performing a factory reset on the Extreme.

Connecting the extreme to my IMAC by ethernet; the light then went to Green.

Connecting the Extreme to the modem.

Connecting all other devices to the Extreme.

Everything is now fine.

In answer to Joseph Kriz; it seems that what I was doing wrong was in fact to originally CORRECTLY follow the setup procedures as laid out in the set up manual!

As a matter of interest, I also set up an Express as an extender but this also needed a factory reset before I could get passed the solid amber light. Oh yeah... anf my teeth are fine :-)

Nov 18, 2015 1:46 AM in response to Crozy

Hi Everyone

Just to be clear for anyone else with the same problem…

If, after a factory reset, either via the Airport Utility software, or a hard reset via the tiny button you have to press with a paperclip on the back your Airport Extreme either won't start-up at all or starts-up with a green light for a moment and then goes straight to solid amber do this:

• Open Airport Utility

• Switch off and disconnect from mains, including pulling jack out of back of machine.

• Plug an ethernet cable that is connected into your home or office network into the back of the Airport Extreme.

• Push a paperclip into the hard reset button on the back of the Airport Extreme and hold it in place (pushed in) and whilst doing so…

• Plug the power jack into the back of the Airport Extreme and connect to the mains power source

• The solid amber light will appear

• After a few seconds - perhaps 30-60 - the amber light will begin to flash

• Go to Airport Utility on your computer (that is connected to your network)

• In the top left you will see a message that indicates a new Airport device is available to set-up

• Set-up as normal or per your instructions

I know this won't work for everyone, or if there's a fault with your machine, but mine behaved like this after a software reset and it was really frustrating. Hope it helps someone else out there.

Solid amber light on Airport Extreme.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.