Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad for 6th Form?

I have been saving for an iPad for a long time and now have enough money to buy one. But my mum has told me she only wants me to buy it if i will be able to use it at 6th form college next year, and if i can't she says i should just by a laptop. So does any one have any recommendations on using the iPad for school work? The subjects I will be doing are Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Spanish. Will the iPad be any good for this?

P.S. Have a desktop computer which i have no wish to replace seeing as it has lots of programs on it such as Rosetta Stone that cannot be reinstalled onto a new PC.

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:06 PM

That question is probably best answered by someone at your college. Could depend on a lot of factors. Generally speaking, you should be able to for most tasks, I would think.

5 replies

Mar 13, 2012 3:25 PM in response to €Rory

Hi,

We went through this last year when my son went to Sixth Form. It's probably not what you want to hear but in the end we decided that you could use the iPad at a push but in all honesty a laptop is a better proposition.

Factors which helped us decide?

No network connection on the iPad - wifi at the college was decidely flaky in places

Touch screen keyboard just not up to it for long essays (you could of course get a key-case but that's sort of turning it into a laptop anyway..)

Access to the file system is just too locked-down - no swapping files from mates' USB drives or logging onto the college system and downloading papers.

No MS Office (that may change in the future though).

Too fragile (and expensive!) for lumping around at college.

He badly wanted an iPad but having seen others try (and struggle) to use them for any serious work at Sixth form even he concedes that they're not up to it... yet.

iPad for 6th Form?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.